• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for part number. Metal Heater hose on water pump.

newjeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
I went to change my thermostat and notice the metal hose that comes off the water pump and connects to the heater hose is getting really rusty. Does anyone have a part number for that part? i would like to order one.

Id give a stealership a call, they can provide you with one, then another parts store may be able to cross it with thier part number, if thats what your looking to do. Mine was rusty, took it to a wire wheel, turned out ok.

Look up 5-90's post on replaceing it with parts from home depot, 3 pieces, two nipples and one 90 deg. I've got one sitting here that I was going to use in my daughters TJ when I did the water pump but the old one came out and cleaned up nicely with a wire brush and some paint so that ones back in there. The 3 pieces from 5-90's design cost me I think $8 total...
Just for reference, dealer quoted me $14 for a new OEM one..

It's threaded 3/8" NPT, and you can get brass nipples from the hardware store in 3/8" pipe all day long.

Why brass? It don't rust. Brass will last about 8x longer than steel in comparable plumbing environments - I replace household plumbing with brass whenever possible, and if I can't replace underhood plumbing with brass, I start redesigning parts.

As you can probably tell, I'm hugely into reliability on my vehicles...

What RichP mentions is taking the idea one step farther. Having that plain rubber hose running behind the idler pully gave me the twitching awfuls, so I got a longer nipple, a short pipe, and a 90* elbow, and made it rigid until it went back along the engine. Not only did it get the rubber hose away from the idler pully (making me feel better,) but it also eliminated the need to buy a 90* moulded rubber heater hose - which costs something like $12-15, around here.

Not bad for a few dollars' worth of parts. I've got to refine measurements for my "copper heater pipe" mod, so I can see what it would take to ship and make them for everyone else... My design also includes an integral hose bibb coupling and a "reverse flow" valve for backflushing.

5-90

I've got one if ya want it, there isn't a whole lot of paint left on it but its not very rusty either. You could easily rough it up and paint it. I'd give it to ya for $8 shipped.

Back