• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Prices at Dealers <Mad>

Can anyone tell me what the dealer is with parts prices at dealers? I just went again to ATTEMPT to purchase parts from my local dealer. I went in for a pair of nutstrips for attaching my hitch/skid plate. The dealer wanted $60 for the pair, which, from my research is about 2X standard price.

Are there no "standard" pricing overseen by Chrysler? When I told the guy that price was about 2X from what I'd seen on the net, he stormed off from the counter.

I will (reluctantly) drive the 30 miles to a dealer with fair price if I have to, but I think this dealer sets a bad example for Chrysler with this sort of gouging.

I won't name the dealer for now, until I know they are a bad apple.

If you're not in a rush, you'll get better prices on the internet. Try http://allchryslerparts.com. They have pretty decent shipping, and are pretty friendly on the phone. I paid around $17 for one nut strip there. From what I understand. each dealer can set their own mark up. If they want to make the sale, I would think they would cut a break. IMO, most won't. I found ONE dealer that met an online price.... A Nissan Dealer in San Antonio for a part for an old King Cab 4x4 I used to have.

Last edited:
Just for s#*ts and grins, I called the dealer where I bought my XJ thinking they might make me a deal....No dice. $35 each + Shipping..I laughed as I said "No thanks" and hung up. I wasn't in a real hurry for it, so a weeks wait was no big deal.

yeah, parts for everything are high. but lets say your job is selling parts for cars, lawnmowers, or whatever, well heck you want to gouge as much as possible so you can buy jeep parts, boats , more jeep parts, etc., etc. we are all getting gouged, thats business.

It's kinda funny that he stormed off. You would think the parts counter guy was on commission. My local jeep place is like that too - 150% markup and won't budge a penny. Service department at the same place wanted $90 "gosh, that'll be an hour labor" to reflash the ECU per a TSB. Still trying to find a better dealership in the area so I can get that done for more like $45.

Some people would have you "establish a relationship" with the parts guy, and maybe he will finally cut you a deal or two a year down the road .. IMO, unless both you and he want a new friend, that's a waste of your time and money.

Then again, I hate talking about the weather, and I'm no good at blowing smoke up peoples asses. If I want a part, I'll tell you I want it, and I'll ask you what the best price you can give me is. If you come within 10-15% of my online price, I'll pay the extra just for the good feeling of doing business locally. If not, well, that's what my computer's for.

In any case, there's no sense in getting mad, just thank the guy and walk.

Also, just a note - the guy behind the counter - no matter where you are - does not want to hear about how something he is selling is cheaper on the internet. Truthfully, he probably doesn't even want to be reminded that the internet exists, or that you might possibly know how to use it. Never say, "Oh, this guy on NAXJA internet forum said X part should be $Y". Just say, "I've got a buddy back in [some other town or state] who said his dealer cut him a deal..."

He also doesn't want to hear about how you bought something cheaper, but it didn't work right, so you were forced to come to him to buy the "real deal" at a premium price. Both of those stories will ensure that you don't see any kind of sympathy or discount.

Last edited:
Parts guys are on commision and the markup pays their pay.. at least at my local s-ship...

i had a relationship back home with the local parts guy worked out very well surprising how cheap parts REALLY are.. best bet is chryslerpartsdirect.com

i have an e-relationship with the parts dept there now

heard allchryslerparts.com is good

Thanks Lil Red Wagon, makes perfect sense. The reason the guy stormed off was cause I did say "I saw'd it on the Eenter-Net", which, I knew as soon as I said that, I was hosed.
lilredwagn said:
It's kinda funny that he stormed off. You would think the parts counter guy was on commission. My local jeep place is like that too - 150% markup and won't budge a penny. Service department at the same place wanted $90 "gosh, that'll be an hour labor" to reflash the ECU per a TSB. Still trying to find a better dealership in the area so I can get that done for more like $45.

lilredwagn said:
If I want a part, I'll tell you I want it, and I'll ask you what the best price you can give me is. If you come within 10-15% of my online price, I'll pay the extra just for the good feeling of doing business locally. If not, well, that's what my computer's for.

That will be my tactic, now that I understand the dynamics. Funny thing is, between my buddy and I, we've dropped close to $8K at NAPA, junkyards, Internet, and next-town dealers who are willing to either a.) provide good service, or b.) provide good prices and easy ordering. This guy missed out on nearly $2K in commissions, assuming he got a decent commission and wasn't a dick.

lilredwagn said:
He also doesn't want to hear about how you bought something cheaper, but it didn't work right, so you were forced to come to him to buy the "real deal" at a premium price. Both of those stories will ensure that you don't see any kind of sympathy or discount.
Fair enuf, and that why I tend to buy critical parts at NAPA and go with quality products.

You should have just ordered them on the internet if they were that much cheaper. It's not just Chrysler, all dealership parts are going to be more expensive than aftermarket parts. Many times dealership parts are better quality though, especially when it comes to electronic parts, sensors, etc.

Dealers around here are all over the map on prices. Since I don't live all that near to anyplace, I get to shop around. Last year I needed a fuel tank sender O-ring. It lists, apparently, for about $5.70. Local Chrysler non Jeep dealership says "dont stock it, can order it for you, $5.70. Another Chrysler/Jeep dealer says "dont have it, can get it for $5.70. Another says, "we just sold our last one today, can get it for $6.80." Another says "we have it for $18 and change." I finally found one that had it, for $5.70. That particular dealer always seems to have the lowest prices and usually knows what I'm talking about when I order a part. The ones who had it for 6.80 also usually know what they're doing, but always charge a little more. The ones who had it for $18 usually can't figure out what they're doing, or what the terminology means, but they sure do charge for the experience.

lilredwagn said:

I thought that with a TSB that needs to be performed, the dealer was supposed to do it for free. Kinda like recalls, only not as serious. Every TSB we've ever had done on any of our vehicles has been done for free at the dealer (Ford dealer and recently the Jeep dealer)

haaa, try buying parts over here, uk i orderd parts to replace timing components , chain £ 29.70, tensioner £21.91, gasket set £13.9, gear £59.80, gear £12.15. + vat £160.56 . £80 deposit still not arrived yet!!! nearly 2weeks. have i been butt raped!!!!?..........

It's a dealer never got a good price for parts direct from them. Window motor regulater went out on the 98XJ they wanted 540 some bucks for parts and labor. Found the part brand new online and labor took 20 min if that from start to finish. Had my old man hold the window up while I bolted everthing in. Got the door panel back on and tested it and has worked fine ever sence. they said it was at least a 2 hour job. Dealers will never get my money for parts ever again.

I'm not flaming dealers......allchryslerparts.com is a Dealer, BUT their online prices beat any local dealer around my part of town. I go with where I've had good service. If I ever get crap service from them....I'll go elsewhere. I work too hard to give my money away to a business that is not Customer Service oriented.

IF they are a dealer than they are one of the better ones around. I just sent a question to them via email and they responded with in 10 min. Most places take all day if not longer. That and the price is 189 bucks cheaper fro the part from them than at the 3 local dealers here in CO. They will be getting my buisness.

99XJSPORT06 said:
I thought that with a TSB that needs to be performed, the dealer was supposed to do it for free. Kinda like recalls, only not as serious. Every TSB we've ever had done on any of our vehicles has been done for free at the dealer (Ford dealer and recently the Jeep dealer)

TSB stuff isn't an automatic freebie like a recall, it's more like a useful hint for the technician that gives a likely cause for a symptom and a manufacturer-supported and suggested repair. Perhaps your TSB work was done for free because it was still in warranty, or it was goodwill warrantied for some reason or another, which also happens.

Back