• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need some dana 60 pinion set-up help

Beezil

Member #Nay
NAXJA Member
For some reason or another, I misplaced the original dana 60 pinion I took out of the axle back in july, and today I wanted to set up the axle with the new parts....

problem:

anyone who has done thier own r&p's know how bad it sucks to not know what the original shim thicknesses are, if you don't know, you have to start from scratch, and that SUXS!

even though I am not as concerned, of course the oil slinger is on that old missing pinion....even though I believe that a trail rig doesn't really "sling" anymore, and know I could do without the slinger (overfill the diff a wee bit) I'm unsure if I'll have enough shims to make up for it not being there....

so.....

I know this is a long shot, but who knows where my g-damn pinion is?

one ton? some reason why you have it?

otherwise, maybe I can count on someones organizational skills, who might have shim thicknesses written down somewhere from the last time they did an R&P set-up????

You know what's funny. My brother did his first R&P setup in a d44 the other week. I yelled at him because he didn't measure any of the old shim thickness's in there before he junked the originals. Well, he threw random shims in there. First try was a perfect pinion depth. Then one more try on backlash and it was done. I wanted to punch him. Maybe you can get ridiculously lucky like him.

Richmond's site suggests using .035" for all Dana's for a starting piont!

Back