• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission switch

xj paddler

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a 91 high output 4.0 aw4 4X4, what is the trans switch on the dash.
is this an over drive or for manual shifting.

later heath

What does it list for the settings?

Earlier AW4-equipped XJ's had a switch on the panel for "power" and "comfort" modes - the "comfort" mode softened the shifts and spaced them a little wider, and the "power" mode made for sharper shifts and tried to stay in the power band a little more. (As I recall.)

Later XJ's were just hardwired into "power" mode, simply because softening shifts was a great deal harder on the clutches in the transmission, and most people put it in "power" and left it there anyhow. I've got so far as to hardwire the connections in a couple of my XJ's, and use the switch for something else (like auxiliary lighting.)

If the switch is labelled anything other than "Power/Comfort," we'll need to know more before we can tell you what it does...

5-90

does the switch have a "power" side and "comfort".

and if it does, the "power" side will hold the gears longer and higher RPM. its good for pulling trailors, or just when your in a hurry.

Back