• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MY FRONT END HAS THE SHAKES

lazydragon

NAXJA Forum User
hi everyone! I am new to the jeep family having just bought a stock '89 cherokee. it has several issues that need attention, but one in paticular i could use some advice with. my front end shakes like crazy when i hit about 45mph till anywhere from 60-70mph. my alignment is good and i just had the tires balanced. the tires are in good shape. does anyone have an idea of what the problem could be? thanks.

Check your track bar, at both ends. You may want to check your bushings on the control arms. Also, one or more of the TRE's could be worn. Check ball joints. You may have a slight case of DW, do a search on that, you will come up with alot. And welcome aboard.

thanks! I found the DW thread and have already read enough to make my head spin. This is a great place to learn and everyone is very helpful. I'm thinking I should just replace the entire front suspension.

lazydragon said:
thanks! I found the DW thread and have already read enough to make my head spin. This is a great place to learn and everyone is very helpful. I'm thinking I should just replace the entire front suspension.

If your not planning on keeping it stock, upgrade when you do so. I would isolate the problem first, fix it, and don't worry too much about the rest, until you start a build, if thats what you have in mind. How many miles on your rig?

The Track Bar is good places to start, any movement at either end replace it. Have all the tie rods and ball joints checked if there good and tight then, I would recommend having the steering gear box adjusted up about ¾ of a turn. I high mileage XJ the gear box can get a flat spot in the center and cause D.W.

hahahahah DEATHWOBBLE!!!! i get that crap so bad its insane!! i was comin back from the rubicon and got it about every ten seconds really fast and at about 50 mph. it sucks. most likely ball joints being worn from a bad pinion/axl angle on a lifted xj.

Back