• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

???Newbie question before I drain my radiator???

newjeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
Getting ready to drain my radiator and fill it with some fresh fluid. Before i get under the Jeep I want to ask about the drain XXXX on the radiator. How do you operate the drain XXXX? Do you pull it out?? Do you turn it counter clockwise until fluid starts draining???

most will tell you to just pull the lower hose

i myself chose that route a few weeks ago, much easier but a little messier as well

Do the lower hose, then flush it with water, put 7 hour prestone flush in, drive it, drain it, refill with a couple of gallons of distilled water to flush out the old stuff then refill with 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and DISTILLED water..
You can get gallon bottles of distilled water at almost any food store..rember to open you heat so the core get flushed too..

There are actually two "official" drains - one on the radiator (usually on the pax side, and I think you have to remove the grille to get at it) and a small plug with a 5/16" or 8m/m square drive recess. A key for this plug can be easily made from a 5/16" or an 8m/m hex key and five minutes' work with a grinder.

If you pull the lower hose, you will drain most of the fluid from the radiator (save, I think, the bottom half-inch) and from the bottom of the water pump UP in the engine block. Fully draining the engine block means you'll want to pull the block drain plug - which is, I understand, a huge pain. I haven't done it myself yet, but I've got a spare engine in the garage now, and I've been meaning to pull that plug and see if I can stick some sort of valve in its place (to make things easier for me.)

Distilled water works, but gets a little spendy out here. I have been using "reverse osmosis" filtered water for years with no ill effects - and you may find R/O filtered water to be somewhat cheaper than distilled in quantity (I get it for about thirty cents per gallon in "bulk" - I take in my six-gallon shop bottle and two 2.5-gallon "truck" bottles all at once, and fill them for less than a five-dollar bill. My vehicles get rather more purified water than I do - but I've been drinking tap water all my life, and it hasn't killed me yet. I have had other things do that...)

Considering you won't know how much room you have in the system when you drain it (and I certainly don't keep track!) you may find it easier to mix your coolant in jugs, and then pour it in already mixed. A couple other pointers...

1) If you're going to flush, do that FIRST. Change the hoses/thermostat/whatever after yoiu have flushed, they'll carry crud out with them.
2) If you can find it locally, the use of Redline Water Wetter comes HIGHLY recommended. I won't run without it, and I had consistently good reports from the field before I started using it - in forklifts and generators. That use grew to my own vehicles, and I'm glad I did.
3) Once you start on the cycle, you'll want to change your coolant every two years. If you do a good job with the first flush, subsequent flushes may be easily done with a half-gallon to a gallon of vinegar, and then rinse the system before you drain & fill. Why do you think I want to put a valve in the block drain? Talk about making life easy...
4) If this is your first time flushing this system, or you just don't know how long it's been for this particular vehicle, you'll probably need to do something serious first. In this case, I'll usually use the two-part powder that Prestone makes (if you read the back, it's an acid and a neutraliser.) Follow the instructions EXACTLY, with only one modification - after you flush and neutralise the acid, run an additional "clean water" flush to make sure you get everything out of the system. THEN, drain the water and refill with WW and 50/50. As long as you stick to distilled water or R/O filtered after that, you can get away just fine with a vinegar flush each time after. If you do the "hard flush" with oxalic acid (which is what's in the heavy-duty stuff,) get new hoses and a thermostat while you're getting the flush. Flush, neutralise, rinse, and then change hoses and such - you'll get a lot more crap out of the system that way.

Once I get sorted on how to install an drain valve in the engine, I'll post. Also, if I figure out an easier way to drain the radiator (probably a valve replacement,) I'll post that as well. I'm all for making maintenance as easy as possible - that way, you're more assured of getting it done right...

5-90

5-90 said:
There are actually two "official" drains - one on the radiator (usually on the pax side, and I think you have to remove the grille to get at it)

Fully draining the engine block means you'll want to pull the block drain plug - which is, I understand, a huge pain.

You do have to remove the grill to get to the drain on the SIDE of the radiator. Why this plug isn't on the bottom where just about any other drain plug on a radiator i've seen is, i'll never understand. And yes, the block plug is a major pain to get off. About 15 minutes and a couple of bent parts later and I finally got the plug out, and it was worth it as there was still fair ammount of coolant still inside the block.

99XJSPORT06 said:
You do have to remove the grill to get to the drain on the SIDE of the radiator. Why this plug isn't on the bottom where just about any other drain plug on a radiator i've seen is, i'll never understand. And yes, the block plug is a major pain to get off. About 15 minutes and a couple of bent parts later and I finally got the plug out, and it was worth it as there was still fair ammount of coolant still inside the block.

Thats where the Prestone T flush kit comes in handy, gets all that stuff out.

Fred85 said:
most will tell you to just pull the lower hose

i myself chose that route a few weeks ago, much easier but a little messier as well

I did the whole song-n-dance to get to the draincock on mine.... and found it to be clogged , or filled with molding flash, or something....

Ended up pulling the lower hose, and agree that it would be easier to go that route!!

Pull the airbox first, and you can drain it from the TOP, keeping YOU dry!

Den

If you plan on replacing the hoses anyway, which i suggest you do, grab a sharp object and poke the lower rad hose making it a controlled leak . If you rather remove the lower hose be carefull and ready , bc its a bit messy.

pete

Back