• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do the backup lights have a relay?

ssnsltd

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if there is a relay that works with the reverse lights? My Haynes manual doesn't do a very good job on the wire diagrams.

I have an 88 w/5speed. I checked the switch and it appears to be good, the bulbs are fine but I still get no lights.

thanks,
David

no relay to the lights. i had the same problem with my 89 5 speed and it was the switch that srews into the trans. did you pull the switch? how did you determine the switch was ok? on mine, the spring that holds the ball went bad and didnt make good contact.

Well since I can't sleep. . .:(

Yesterday I pulled it from the trany and checked it with a multi meter, it appeared to be functional.

The one thing I dind't think to do was just "short" the wire that connects to the switch and see if the lights came on. :doh:
So I will give that a shot later today .

Thanks for the reply!

The "trans" fuse is the one that is inline with the backup switch in the tranny. Check to see if that fuse is blown.

kevin s said:
Neutral Safety Switch. Replace for $300, or do a search for the how to clean it thread here or on JU.

Would that cause the reverse lights to work intermittently? Sometimes when I put it in reverse (auto trans)the lights don't come on until I've gone back a couple of feet. Sometimes they don't come on at all.

Back