• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

easiest way to mount MJ shackles?

mark

NAXJA Forum User
easiest way to mount MJ rhacšfes?

whatC#the ea#lest waˆ to moux the mš/shackles i got yesterday? i really dont wanna have to drop the axle  od all ´dat jusd/to get0/4" in2` of lifw, any sggdstiÞis for an easy way to do this?
thanks
mark

Several days before you start to swap out the shackles..... liberally apply PB Blaster (penetrant) for a few days to the bolts at the leaf spring bushing end and with a spray tube apply some to the bolt that goes through the shackle into the uniframe captive nut.
Apply emergency brake, chock front wheels, jack up the rear of the Jeep and place jack stands under both sides of Jeep to allow the rear differential to hang, put hydraulic jack under diff to move it up and down when needed, loosen the upper and lower bolts of the shackles on one side, you will need to lower or raise the diff to take tension off the bolts to remove them and then install the new shackle and reinstall the bolts. Do the same on the other side, but don't snug down the bolts until the vehicle is on the ground. This will stop you from preloading the bushings.
If all goes well.... taking your time the job should take about 2 hours by yourself.
Hope this helps.

ok, i even further simplified those directions, just used a hilift till the weight was off, popped off the old shackles and put on the new ones, took me 20 mins

Back