• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Tank capacity?

My low fuel light comes on right at 300 miles on the trip and 4 gallons of gas left.

Damn, 20?
Everytime i fill the tank it goes to 16 and cuts out. I wonder if my gas gage is reading wierd? It has never done anything bizar before.

I think the pre 96 had 16 gallons cause mine does the same exact thing. Sorry for ressurecting an old thread, but I have been researching this :rolleyes:

my 96 had a 20 gallon when I got it, and now has a 97+ 20 gallon in it. I'd suspect the sender is screwed up if it reads as empty with 16 gallons gone - OR you've bounced it off too many rocks and it is now a 16 gallon tank, the old metal tanks didn't like that quite as much as the plastic ones and with that stupid plastic scuff plate over the tank it's easy to not notice that they're caved in.

my 96 had a 20 gallon when I got it, and now has a 97+ 20 gallon in it. I'd suspect the sender is screwed up if it reads as empty with 16 gallons gone - OR you've bounced it off too many rocks and it is now a 16 gallon tank, the old metal tanks didn't like that quite as much as the plastic ones and with that stupid plastic scuff plate over the tank it's easy to not notice that they're caved in.

Who knows. I have the plastic tank. But I have been told that I have a 16 gallon tank before too?? Idk man

Older ones had 15gal std and 20 gal optional. I only get 18 when I fill up, cuz the PO put a dent in the tank.

Usually when I fil up it is at 15, which means I have like 3.5 gallons left.

Ever since I bought my 2000 XJ. I can only put 16 gallons when the light first comes on. Sounds about right since it should have 4 gallons in reserve.

Cherokees seem to have an abundant reserve capacity, must be because we're supposed to be out and about.
There were two "official" capacities (metal tank XJ's) 20.5 gal. in most and, IIRC "13.5 gal." in some of the earlier ones. The only difference actual between the two is the air vent inside.
You can extend the vent higher in the tank and get more gas in, I've done it on both our Cherokees, but usually only fully top them off when we're heading out of town, it's nice to have 23+ gals of gas and 20 before the light comes on.
Here's the link for the modification http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoFuelTank.htm My simple vent extension solution is near the bottom of the page.

Mike

Never heard of anything less than 20. Could be for the 4 banger pre 1987. I always get a fill up of about 15 +-. I'm happy for the reserve.

My 90 has the fuel pump from Napa in it and it did not quite fit. When it gets low, the engine cuts out on right hand turns. Been that way for... oh 15 years?!

Never heard of anything less than 20. Could be for the 4 banger pre 1987. I always get a fill up of about 15 +-. I'm happy for the reserve.

My 90 has the fuel pump from Napa in it and it did not quite fit. When it gets low, the engine cuts out on right hand turns. Been that way for... oh 15 years?!
Only on right had turns?!?! LOL

The 20 gal tank is 20 gal fill IF its bone dry to start with. The last gallon or two is IFFY if you run it low. Plus its very good practice to keep above 3 gallons to save the fuel pump. So a fill of 15-17 gallon is about right.

Yup right hand turns. I just haven't wanted to deal with it. I even have an extra tank with the original fuel pump taking space in the garage. Boy, I need to get rid of a lot of extra stuff.

Back