• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What brand plugs, wires, etc..

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Okay, I have replaced my battery and my Jeep still struggles to start up after its been sitting a long time (over night, 8 hours+) Anyways I have no idea if it will help, but I'd like to change my plugs, wires, and does the cap/rotor need to be replaced too? The Jeep has 74k miles and only maintenance I've done since I got it @63k is tranny, radiator flush and the diffs (gear/locker install). I'm use to a 00 XJ so some of this stuff is new to me. So...

1. Could this maybe help my start up issue?

2. what brand stuff should I go with? (websites?)

Thanks ,Zach

They might help with your startup. Your long starting time could be fuel related also. Pull one of your plugs and see what kinda condition they're in. Just for fun, run a fuel system cleaner through your car during your next fuel-up. We did that to my future sister-in-law's '99 Mustang. It was very rough starting and ran kinda rough too. I use STP. After a couple days, it was behaving much better!

As for plugs and wires, I used the Champion Truck Plugs and Bosch wires.

Something simple and FREE to try is cleaning all grounds and exposed connectors in the engine bay. Pull your starter wires, alternator, coil, battery, etc... and scrub them all and reattach. You'll be surprised what a difference it can make. Have you changed the fuel filter. It's inline just in front of the gas tank on the drivers side. That too is an easy and inexpensive fix.

Rocketman said:
Something simple and FREE to try is cleaning all grounds and exposed connectors in the engine bay. Pull your starter wires, alternator, coil, battery, etc... and scrub them all and reattach. You'll be surprised what a difference it can make. Have you changed the fuel filter. It's inline just in front of the gas tank on the drivers side. That too is an easy and inexpensive fix.

pretty sure in 99s its in the tank, plus I am told since it does not crank any better after turning the key to "on" for 10-15 secs. then cranking it isn't gonna be fuel. Or the fact it starts perfect after the Jeeps been warm.

RenegadeStang said:
They might help with your startup. Your long starting time could be fuel related also. Pull one of your plugs and see what kinda condition they're in. Just for fun, run a fuel system cleaner through your car during your next fuel-up. We did that to my future sister-in-law's '99 Mustang. It was very rough starting and ran kinda rough too. I use STP. After a couple days, it was behaving much better!

As for plugs and wires, I used the Champion Truck Plugs and Bosch wires.

Might try it, easy and cheap, But I have always never been a fan of ANY "cleaner in a can" type stuff or additives. I have always had it in my mind they do more harm than good in the long run. but I dont know...

So I just change plugs and wires? no cap and rotor or whatever?

When i changed my plugs, wires, cap and rotor, I went to Napa. I got thier brand cap(brass inserts) and rotor, wires, and copper core plugs. They are all resonably priced.

When I do our jeeps, 3 of them, they get new plugs, cap, rotor, wires and I get them from the dealer. The 4.0L and the 2.5L both seem to prefer the Champion stock plugs... You can also get the mopar high performance wires, they are for some strange reason cheaper than the stock wires...

Mine seem to like Autolite plugs (but they have been mostly Renix rigs) Try buying gas from someplace that DOESN'T have the cheapest gas! El Cheapo fuel often has additives that lower the octane (especially Methyl alcohols) A can of BG's 44K will clean the system up nice too! (It's the only one that is warranty approved by dealers too!)

carnuck said:
Mine seem to like Autolite plugs (but they have been mostly Renix rigs) Try buying gas from someplace that DOESN'T have the cheapest gas! El Cheapo fuel often has additives that lower the octane (especially Methyl alcohols) A can of BG's 44K will clean the system up nice too! (It's the only one that is warranty approved by dealers too!)

I only use BP.

So...

regular Champion plugs (part #?)

Mopar performance wires (just ask for them at dealer?)

Cap/rotor (Napa?)

ZachMan said:
I only use BP.

You only think you use BP, unless there is a BP exclusive refinery or terminal then it's just generic gas with BP mojo juice. Kind of like Hess in NJ, if you get it from a Hess station in central NJ then it usually is delivered direct from the hess refinery near Raritan, when you buy most other brands in the same area it's probably Hess. They usually limit refinery deliveries to 50miles max othewise it costs too much to ship. I know here in the allentown and points north to the pocono area of PA the sunoco, hess, mobil, amaaco, exxon, shell, wawa, BJ's wholesale stations all get their gas from the same terminal in whitehall right behind Sams Club, you see all the tanker trucks lined up there in the morning and throughout the day getting filled up. Sometimes you can even see the drivers adding the brands mojo juice out of containers before they pump the gas in.

Looked at Advanced and they have Champion truck plugs and Copper + plugs, whats the difference?
The truck plugs were alittle more and they were bronze in color.

Back