• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are these 4cyl engine mount brackets?

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a much needed smack on the noggin that woke me up about my engine mount issues in "Project Cheap Crawler". I had simply assumed the rig came originally with the 2.8.... someone told me the 2.8 brackets should be easilly modded to accept the 4.3 I have for it.

But look at the brackets in this pic. These are way too high and flat to work with the 4.3 - are these 4cyl brackets?

P1010463.jpg

YELLAHEEP said:
I just got a much needed smack on the noggin that woke me up about my engine mount issues in "Project Cheap Crawler". I had simply assumed the rig came originally with the 2.8.... someone told me the 2.8 brackets should be easilly modded to accept the 4.3 I have for it.

But look at the brackets in this pic. These are way too high and flat to work with the 4.3 - are these 4cyl brackets?

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h164/TBetka/P1010463.jpg

So what's the VIN? IIRC 8th digit is engine code.

Last edited:
The 8th digit is a "1".

I feel like a moron since the emission info sticker is still on the firewall.... but the XJ is at a storage lot currently.

Look at the 4th character for engine type.....should be an "H" ,"Y" or an "E" for 2.5L if that's what was in there.

edit: here are the rest of the codes...

B 2.1L Renault Diesel I-4

E 2.46L AMC Gasoline I-4 1-B Carb

H 2.46L AMC Gasoline I-4 TBI

M 4.0L AMC Gasoline I-6 MPI

Y 2.46L AMC Gasoline I-4 1-B Carb

W 2.8L GM Gasoline V6

Last edited:
Jeff,

It may depend on the year. Our 84 is a 2.5 from the factory and the 4th letter on it is a U. Actually from having a couple of these 84s and looking at some others, the U is the 2.5 and the W is the 2.8 for 84/5. (1JCUB vs 1JCWB)

Those stanchions look like what we have in our 4cyl too, though I'm not sure what the 2.8L stanchions look like, I'd guess they mount farther back for the V6 than the 2.5, but I doubt the height changed much.

You've got the stanchions pictured there, but the mounts themselves look just like the 4.0L mounts for the 2.5. No idea what they look like for the 2.8. On the 2.5 there are 3 parts. The stanchions like you showed a pic of, the mounts that have the rubber bits and look like the 4.0L parts, and then the bracket that goes from the rubber bits to the block itself.

Another clue might be the underhood light, the V6s had them on the driver's side, the 4cyls on the passenger's side.

Well, according to Jeff's VIN codes, and my tag reading "1JCWB"..... This rig had the 2.8 - which really confuses me because if I were to even try to mod the existing mounts to fit close to where the 2.8 must have fit.... the 4.3 would stick 6-8" above the hood line.

Oh well, I'll just stick with the original plan to get AA's brackets and call it good.

Thanks for all the help fellas! :thumbup:

Cool link! Yup, it's definitely a 2.8.

Thanks!

Back