• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! Searched with no luck

schmels3

NAXJA Forum User
Somebody please help me. Friday night when I was wheelin, I threw my serpentine belt in turn overheating my heep. I then had to be pulled home by my friends chev :( Anyways, I bought the new belt, have it all routed correctly but cannot get it around the ps pulley. I have loosened the adjuster bolt with no luck and still need about 1/2 inch before I can even get close to getting the belt on. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advance. Oh yeah, 89 XJ 4.0 231 auto.
schmels3

Loosen the adjuster bolt more if necessary. If you compared the two belts (new and old) and they match, you should be able to get it on there. If it still won't fit, return that belt for a belt one size longer.

Yeah the belt is the same size and the adjusting bolt really isnt doing all that much. Im tempted to just take the damned ps pump off!!!

Did you loosen the bolts that lock the PS pump in place? You need to loosen them to move the PS pump for adjustment. One one top at the pivot point. One hidden on the back side of the pump, between the manifold and the pump (at least its like that on my 92)

it's the same on my 87. I usually loosen all the power steering pump bolts. There are three, it makes it real easy to move that assembly.
One that it pivots on, the one behind that's under the vaccum tree. That one's a PITA to get at, it's worth going and buying a 13MM ratchet wrench. Then you can get at it from underneath, if you try to get at it from the top you'l end up breaking a vaccum line, trust me.
THen I usually undo the lower bolt on the front, it's not required, but makes it easier. Then do the adjuster bolt.

Yeah, I think I got them all, but I'll try again tomarrow. Until then, I'll drive the trusty honda. Thanks for all the help everyone!
schmels3

I found that the first time I went to do mine it was stuck pretty good. I backed the adjuster bolt out, then tapped it with a rubber mallet a few times. Make sure you tap the bracket and not the PS pump resovoir.

Back