• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Computer Scanner for RENIX Systems

SPVFD47

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know of any computer software and hardware for the Renix systems ? Right now I use a SnapOn scanner which is pretty helpful but I'd like to find one thats for the PC and and little bit more easier to use and navigate with. I use the Autotap software and hardware with my Fords, but the Autotap is only OBDII and the Renix isn't.

Well its an OBD scanner but its able to connect to the diag connections on my XJ and read the info from the sensors. Voltages and resistance. Also tells what relays are open and closed and can connect and read the TCU for the trans. Only thing is its only got a 4 line lcd display thats a pain to read and scroll. The autotap software is nice and customizable to what you want to read and look at. Its only flaw is it only connects to an OBD computer.

Snap-On MT2500? I'm looking for one for my own use...

One of my "blue sky" projects is to come up with some sort of PC-based (laptop, or maybe PalmOS) RENIX scanner priced within range of the hobbyist. I like the MT2500 - but starting at $1400, it's a little steep for the occasional user.

As mentioned, the catch here is that RENIX does not actually "store" or "throw" codes - so all you get is realtime data from the ECU. Fortunately, since I came up troubleshooting Durasparks and such, that isn't such a problem for me. I just can't bring myself to like systems that do my troubleshooting for me...

5-90

Yup, that would be it. My dad was able to snag it from work since they really don't have a need for it anymore. They had a few xj's at one point so they had the adapter and cartridges for Renix Jeeps. They have a nice new one that has a big color lcd display. Have no clue how much that one cost. They say it can do more with the Police Intercepter Crown Vic's then the MT2500.

I don't think it would be that hard to set something up with a pc. When I was going to school for Electrical Engineering we had a serial pc interface that you could connect all kinds of sensors to, voltage, current, resistance, etc... It was a box that you cold connect them to, I think it could hold up to 8 or so, and then the box to pc via serial cable. And then the computer software would display what they read. You could record and graph and set limits and all kinds of stuff. Basically the scanner is doing the same. Its reading the what ever the sensors are sending to the ECU, voltage or resistance and then its computes what the values are based on the sensor readings. The MT25000 works good, only flaw I've seen is that the RPM reading seems to be lower then what my tachs read on both my XJ and YJ. It may have something to do with the fact they're both 4 cyl's or that they both one of those "cross-breed" 1990 with some AMC and some DC engineering.

Anyway I'm looking to try to either find something that will do the same on a pc or figure out a way to do it. My dad got the Autotap OBDII software and box for me so we can mess around with his diesel Fords. Hes not too much a computer and electronics guy. A friend told him about and had me look into. He bought the stuff and I mess around with it. You can do alot with it. Its a bit pricey but will work with any OBD vechicle. Hes a Diesel Mechanic and went to school to design Diesel Engines. The Autotap is even compatible with Cat and Cummins diesel engines. We've messed around with some of the stuff on some International and Volvo trucks. Theres alot of stuff you can change with it in there.

Sounds like you should sign up for my RENIXPower group - that's one of the goals of that board. I've got an entire working setup out of an 88XJ w/4.0 out in the garage as well, and I should get it working on a mockup board sometime this summer. Adding you to the brain trust certainly can't hurt...

If you ever get a chance to grab another MT2500, or just want to cut loose of the one you have, put me at the top of the list (please? :loveu: ) I'm sure I'll need one for when I finally capture the serial data stream out of the thing, so I have a baseline for decoding (or someone else will - I'm not much of a programmer. I'm more of a hardware guy...)

I've actually split the low-buck decoder project three ways - tell me what you think...

1) Adapter cable and programme for desktop/shop PC. Would probably provide much more "in-depth" information, and be the most detailed of the three.
2) Adapter cable and programme for PalmOS (and maybe laptop - C is fairly portable) which would give useful diagnostic information, formatted to be easy to read.
3) Interface for onboard data display, probably driven by a BASIC stamp or similar. Would feature a small LCD that could be mounted at the owner's convenience, and would provide a constant status display. Don't know about this one - but it would be a nice idea, I think...

5-90

If ya lived alot closer I'd let ya borrow her and try her out. I think the best way to go is a computer interface to a laptop. More graphical is what I'm looking for. I also thought about something else. I'm a Aviation Mechanic for the Army National Gaurd, more specific I work on helicopter engines. We have something for working with the Blackhawk engines where we can disconnect the harness from the engine that sends all the information from DECU (Digital Electric Control Unit ) to the instrumentation and hook up a box that has gauges and indicators identical to the ones at the front seat. I was thinking something like this for the Renix Engine would be easy to build, seeing as all the connections to the sensor and ecu are at diagnostic port. Basically all the MT2500 is reading the values and interpurting and doing the the math for us. For some of them it just displays a value in milli-volts or volts. Others are just on off values for things such as the egr value relay and what not. Others its knows the range of values and just outs for instance the throttle switch open, partial, or wide open. If the values are know it wouldn't be hard to build something on a more anolog level with gauges and lights. Some of the information the MT2500 reads is displayed like the engine speed and temp with a gauge anyway. Wouldn't need to make anything for them as you got them at the seat too.

I did join the group, I joined it last night and took a look at some things.

Last edited:
5-90 said:
I've actually split the low-buck decoder project three ways - tell me what you think...

1) Adapter cable and programme for desktop/shop PC. Would probably provide much more "in-depth" information, and be the most detailed of the three.
2) Adapter cable and programme for PalmOS (and maybe laptop - C is fairly portable) which would give useful diagnostic information, formatted to be easy to read.
3) Interface for onboard data display, probably driven by a BASIC stamp or similar. Would feature a small LCD that could be mounted at the owner's convenience, and would provide a constant status display. Don't know about this one - but it would be a nice idea, I think...

5-90

Sounds doable. Th tough part is figuring out the datastream and any inputs it will accept. I suspect the AW4 computer uses the same serial protocol. I wonder if you could rig up manual controls using the diagnostic connection...

lawsoncl said:
I suspect the AW4 computer uses the same serial protocol. I wonder if you could rig up manual controls using the diagnostic connection...
I don't think so, it seems that the AW4 just give information like what selnoids have power to them, the value of the speed sensor, and lock up I think. But like said before you call probably make a set with indicatiors to tell you what gear you're in and output speed what not.

SPVFD47 said:
I don't think so, it seems that the AW4 just give information like what selnoids have power to them, the value of the speed sensor, and lock up I think. But like said before you call probably make a set with indicatiors to tell you what gear you're in and output speed what not.

I think you might be right. I looked at the 88 FSM wiring diagram and there is only one wire for the diagnostic data in the wiring harness connector. Maybe one of the other non-connected pins would be an input.

I noticed that pin C5 is labelled "shift point logic" and gets grounded. I wonder what it does and what happens if you unground that pin?

I have an extra 1988 AW4 sitting on my desk that I just pulled the cover off. It has an 8720 MCU. I'm tempted to wire it up to power, feed it some sensor signals and watch the outputs. A 1-4 volts signal for TPS and a 5-volt square wave for the tach signal should work. I could play with that pin and see what happens.

Not a bad idea. Like I said, I think the diag port just is a splice off some of the outputs of the TCU. I have 2 '90 vechicles, a XJ and YJ. They both have the same 2 diag connectors but the YJ is a 5spd and doesn't have connections to all of the pins on the bigger port. Probably only half. I've seen the write ups on how to by pass the TCU so you can have a manual "electronic" trans. Basically all you have to do is supply power to the solnoids at the right time and you can shift it manually. Maybe your 88 is different but my '90 has a lot more coming from the TCU then just 1 wire. I'll take a look at the wiring diagrams I have and play with the scanner on the morning and see what info she tells me for sure.

I was just looking at the wiring diagrams on the yahoo group just a sec ago. You're right theres only 1 at the diag port. Although, for the 2.5 it doesn't say anything about the trans, it says that pin 15 isn't used, where on the 4.0 thats the "Automatic Transmission Diagnosis". The stuff looks identical to what the Clintons books have. The Clintons and Haynes books are fairly right but I've noticed some mistakes in them before. I don't have a fsm, wish I did. I do have a Mitchells Service Manual that I believe takes its info from the Jeep FSM. I'll dig out the Mitchell book in the morning.

5-90 said:
If you ever get a chance to grab another MT2500, or just want to cut loose of the one you have, put me at the top of the list

I have seen them go for $300 and change on Ebay for example (second hand ones). You know, two old auto shops in my neighborhood are going out of business next month :tear: I wonder if they are selling tools.

Last edited:
I did some research on them and found out that the MT2500 came out in 1989. I was still a kid then ! The thing about them is they're cartridge driven which means the software can always be upgraded to work with new cables and new ECU's. The actual MT2500 its just an adapter between the cartridge and cable with a screen and 2 buttons and scroll wheel !

The AW4 solenoid signals can be "demuxed" from binary into decimal, and then use a display driver for a seven-segment, or a dot/bar graph driver to run a series of LED's (which can be made different colours - say, red for 1/2, yellow for 3, and green for OD.) I used to have a schematic to do just that, but I have since mislaid it and need to find it again.

Baja - see if those shops are cutting loose of any MT2500's cheap - maybe we can work something out.

5-90

I remember seeing something on Jason West's (pretty sure it was him) website about manually controling your AW4 when it was in 1-2. He used a switch and led set up to lock it into 1st or 2nd and then a LED to let you know what gear its in... I've read where guys have used a switch to keep the trans locked in the current gear. I.E going up hills the TCU seems to wanna down shift the trans into 1st when you have it in 1-2. I think the power/comfort switch can control this too. I really don't mess around with that one too much. I leave it in comfort most of the time. Power just seems to make her shift at higher RPMs and eat more gas.

Heres an example of the second gear
http://www.jeepbarracks.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=19http://www.bigoffroad.com/pages/bigpages/bigtech/2ndgear.htm

Ok heres what the MT2500 will tell me for my 90 XJ 2.5 Auto.
Engine
RPM
O2 (mV)
INJ (ms)
Loop Status Open or Closed
Exhaust Lean or Rich
St Fuel Trim
Lt Fuel Trim
Map Sensor (V)
MAP (kPa)
Man Vac (kPa)
Baro Pres (kPa)
TPS(V)
Throttle %
Throtte Sw Closed, Partial, WOT
Spark Adv (*BTC)
Coolant (*C)
Charge Temp (*C) - anyone know what this is ?
A/C Clutch On/Off
A/C Request On/Off
A/C Switch On/Off
EGR On/Off
Battery Volts (V)
PROM

Trans
Output RPM
TPS Steps
Lock-Up Off/On
Brake Released/Press
Solenoid 1 On/Off