• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clicking noise near radiator

gigage

NAXJA Forum User
Tried searching, couldn't find anything. I drove home from Fort Worth last night, about a 20 minute drive. Everything appears normal until I pull into garage. I hear a clicking noise coming from under hood I narrow it down to somewhere around radiator. I looked for loose parts, but see nothing. All gauges reading normal it sounds like it's coming from waterpump area. could this be telling me something? Could this be waterpump problem, or something else? Thanks for any insight. 1990 4.0 all maintenance up to date. And no problems other than the noise.:flipoff:

certainly could be the water pump. There's a bearing in there that can make that noise when it fails. Keep an eye on the weep hole, if it starts to leak it's done.
You may also want to run the motor for a short time without the serpentine belt on. Without the belt the accessories, including the water pump, won't be driven, and it will let you narrow it down for sure to something that's belt driven. Just be sure you only run it long enough to check for the tick, you won't have any coolant flow in the motor when you do this, so start with a cold motor, and don't run it for an extended length of time.

87manche said:
certainly could be the water pump. There's a bearing in there that can make that noise when it fails. Keep an eye on the weep hole, if it starts to leak it's done.
You may also want to run the motor for a short time without the serpentine belt on. Without the belt the accessories, including the water pump, won't be driven, and it will let you narrow it down for sure to something that's belt driven. Just be sure you only run it long enough to check for the tick, you won't have any coolant flow in the motor when you do this, so start with a cold motor, and don't run it for an extended length of time.
I agreee, I would almost guarantee that its belt related. There are so many things belt driven that can cause a clicking noise.

Back