• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch

SUA SPONTE

NAXJA Forum User
hey whats up guys. 87 clutch problem. After wheeling it my clutch doesnt seem to have very much resistance when i press it in. Is this a linkage problem or do i have to replace my clutch?
thanks for your help.
87 AMC JEEP

You don't have a "linkage" - it's hydraulic, with an internal slave cylinder built into to the throwout bearing. Try bleeding it first - the low speeds from off-roading, coupled with the fact that you probably haven't changed the hydraulic fluid in YEARS (it's DOT3 brake fluid, you honestly should change it - and your brake fluid - every two years...) has probably combined to get some moisture in the lines (which has since boiled, and you've gotten gas pockets in the hydraulic fluid.)

Bleed first - I'm sure you'll note a significant improvement in clutch operation. The bleed nipple is on the driver's side of the bellhousing, as I recall.

5-90

Back