• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Rear?

bsr26

NAXJA Member #1229
OK so I made a mistake and did a neutral drop and now I think I broke something in the rear. When I am driving I have vibrations from you know where. I jacked up the rear and spun the pass side wheel, it spins and so does the drivshaft, but not the drivers wheel. The drivers wheel also spins the driveshaft but not the other wheel.

Any help would be awesome.
Thanks,
Brandon

It's normal for only one wheel plus the driveshaft to turn. It's the differential doing its thing.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a "neutral drop," but if you have vibration, check the driveshaft universal joints first. If you put a really big strain on it, make sure that the straps holding the universals to the yoke on the differential are not bent or loosened.

Matthew Currie said:
It's normal for only one wheel plus the driveshaft to turn. It's the differential doing its thing.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a "neutral drop," but if you have vibration, check the driveshaft universal joints first. If you put a really big strain on it, make sure that the straps holding the universals to the yoke on the differential are not bent or loosened.
x2,
If the u-joint looks good and the straps aren't bent then you should probably pop the diff cover and see what's up in there. You may have done in the spiders or the R&P

I will check the joints and straps in the morning, I did check to see if there was any extra play and I didn't notice any. But will double check in the morning.

So the straps and joints look alright and all of the fluid came out clear of any metal. Going to refill everything tomorrow and drive it, then I might change the U-Joints just for giggles to see if that helps, time for a change on the anyway.

Brandon

When checking the u-joints, first chock the wheels and put the tranny in neutral. This will remove any binding or torque on drive shaft.

What exactly should I be looking for when I check the U-Joints. I think that I am going to go ahead and replace them any way seeing as how the truck has 86K+ on original joints.

slop in the joints is a sure sign. They should be nice and tight all the way around. Any kind of grinding noise or jerkiness and they should be replaced.
It's not a big job, the easy way to do it is to rent the balljoint tool from the parts store. It makes short work of a U-joint. Just remember to take out the Zerk fitting before you start pressing it out.
If you don't want to rent the balljoint tool then pick a socket you don't like and beat the joint out with a hammer.

Mambeu said:
Revving the engine in neutral, then dropping it into gear.

At over 1500 RPM. Sometimes as high as 6500, while still going backwards.

Not real friendly with manual trannys, either, but it will smoke the tires on an underpowered car. Ah, the enthusiasm of youth.

If your differentials are working by spinning the driveshaft by the wheels or the wheels in opposite directions then the spider gears are fine. Doing their jobs they are. Do what the others said and chock your wheels, put the vehicle in neutral and try wiggling the driveshaft or spinning it as much as it will go back and forth (which won't be much with the rear wheels on the ground) while looking for any play at the u-joints. No play means the u-joints are probably good unless tweaked by the stress of the drop you did. I would think they would break not tweak. Good luck.

maybe transfer case, maybe transmission. that would suck. i was goin to say ring and pinion but if the dshaft is spinning... maybe you just stripped the ring (or pinion), not enough power/grab to move it but just enough to catch when there is no load on them? just a thought

I searched and I can't remember if I have read it or not but can I drive without a rear driveshaft if I put it in 4Hi. Is it going to hurt anything? Just thinking that may help to refine where the problem is.

TiRod said:
At over 1500 RPM. Sometimes as high as 6500, while still going backwards.

Not real friendly with manual trannys, either, but it will smoke the tires on an underpowered car. Ah, the enthusiasm of youth.

did that in my 85' silverado with hopped up 350 and broke the spider gears so bad that a piece nearly went through the diff cover. ridiculously loud noise too. thats what i get for trying to show off to a guy in a maxima.

You can always tell the hot spot in the neighborhood - dual upside down question marks on the pavement - ?? The dots are usually gear oil or second.

bsr26 said:
I searched and I can't remember if I have read it or not but can I drive without a rear driveshaft if I put it in 4Hi. Is it going to hurt anything? Just thinking that may help to refine where the problem is.
yep, pull the rear DS and see what happens.

TiRod said:
You can always tell the hot spot in the neighborhood - dual upside down question marks on the pavement - ?? The dots are usually gear oil or second.
:laugh:

pull the diff cover and make sure there is no chipped teet in any of the gears, spiders and ring, cant really see the pinion well but you'll see it in the oil if its there.

Pulled the DS and drove it this morning. Drove with out vibes. So I am going to change the UJoints and hopefully thats what the problem was.

Thanks guys,
Brandon

bsr26 said:
I think that I am going to go ahead and replace them any way seeing as how the truck has 86K+ on original joints.

They're just getting broken in! Just messin with ya man. Just replaced my original U-joints....after 250,000. :D Needless to say, they were shot.

Back