• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to by a '00 XJ-what to look for?

KY-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to buy a '00 XJ-what to look for?

I am looking at a '00 XJ 4.0 auto 4wd D35 :( w/ 45k on the clock. [Pics here]
I got them talk down to $10k, but I would like to know what (if any) problems I should look for. Everything looked clean, no presence of any leaks, ran great, shifted great, brakes are good. I have heard about head problems, but I'm not sure what the extent of it is. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

BTW, I had a 96 XJ but I would like to know if any issues came about w/ the newer styling and updates.

Last edited:
It should have a 29 spline chrysler 8.25 rear axle, bet it also has the low pinion D30. I have a 2000 and love it. The head is an issue of concern, try not to overheat it.

bought my 2000 with 36k, three years later 153K, no serious probs, just diligent maintenance. Its the #0331 head thats suspect and the 2000 will most likely have it. Switch to synth, keep an eye on the coolant, and flush the rad once a year...working for me.

10k includes tax, title, license and any other associated fees. If my math is correct, I would actually be paying at $9250. Not entirely sure on abs, but the rear diff. had a rubber fill plug. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that was tell tell sign of D35.

The rubber fill plug is most likely the Cry. axle. The D35 has a round cover and a round center section, The Cry has a not quite round cover and a flat spot on the bottom of the center section. $9,250 sounds about right ( out the door) 10k is way to much unless it has crazy low miles. I payed 12k out the door for my 2k Sport 34k about four years ago. It will more than likely have the 0133 head that has ben a bit more troublesome than the earlier ones (I belive it it was more of a batch thing than the whole searies). It will more than like have the precats on the manafold if it was a late 99 made 2k you may get luckey, and it won't have them (mine doesn't). It will have a low pinion D30 front axle that isn't quite as strong as a HP rev cut version. However if you don't plan on going with a big lift, big tires it shouldn't be to much of a problem.

EDIT: BTW that is idenitical to mine even no cruse. You will miss it.

Last edited:
The more I think of it, the I believe I'm gonna pass on this one. I've also been on the lookout for a TJ. I miss my old XJ and the cargo room, but something about the top down and just cruising around sounds relaxing to me. Maybe I need one of each, nah, my wife would divorce me then! Anyway, thanks for the info.

FWIW Yesterday I stopped and looked at a maroon 2000 sport Cry 8.25, no precats, no cruse, 49k for $7,200. It even had the crome wheels.

FYI: I bought my 2000 sport 2 years ago with 26000 miles for 10K. Give it another once over and see if they work with ya, I love mine. Now at 55,000 on 6 yrs. Although, is there another involved? Always make haggling tough. GOOD LUCK!

dj's 2000 xj said:
FYI: I bought my 2000 sport 2 years ago with 26000 miles for 10K. Give it another once over and see if they work with ya, I love mine. Now at 55,000 on 6 yrs. Although, is there another involved? Always make haggling tough. GOOD LUCK!
Not another XJ, but I've got a really good deal on a '04 TJ SE for $13.5k + TTL. Payments would be more though. I may try to work it to my advantage with the XJ, that is if it will work. How would you work the deal from here on out? How could I use it to my advantage?

Thanks!

KY-XJ said:
Not another XJ, but I've got a really good deal on a '04 TJ SE for $13.5k + TTL. Payments would be more though. I may try to work it to my advantage with the XJ, that is if it will work. How would you work the deal from here on out? How could I use it to my advantage?

Thanks!

Now that sounds pretty good to me, I have seen recently 2000's & 2001's for about the same price around here (St. louis area). I got a really good deal that would be hard to duplicate. The TJ will be great leverage for dealing I would think. Or, you get a cool, TJ :) I always just tell them I want the vehicle but not at that price, then they ask manager, he/she lowers a bit and I say I cant handle a loan that big. Then I may have to leave, wait a day and go back and budge a little, then they budge a little and then Yea!! New car. Or, someone else wants it real bad and comes in and buys it :(

Re: Looking to buy a '00 XJ-what to look for?

KY-XJ said:
I am looking at a '00 XJ 4.0 auto 4wd D35 :( w/ 45k on the clock. [Pics here]
I got them talk down to $10k,

BTW, I had a 96 XJ but I would like to know if any issues came about w/ the newer styling and updates.

$10k definitely sounds high (I've been contemplating the idea of selling my '00 2-door, and figured I'd be ecstatic if I got anything over $7k for it). But 45k is low-miles... so it probably all evens out...

I've had no problems to speak of, at 68k.

Many of the "97+" redesign-related issues were fixed after the 97/98 model years, it seems. (that big ol' dashboard plug, mainly).

Den

I went down to $9500 and it was a no go. I think I'll go up to $9750 and if they go for it, I'll buy it.

It does have the Cry. 8.25 and the build date is 3/00.

scoobyxj said:
The rubber fill plug is most likely the Cry. axle. The D35 has a round cover and a round center section, The Cry has a not quite round cover and a flat spot on the bottom of the center section. $9,250 sounds about right ( out the door) 10k is way to much unless it has crazy low miles. I payed 12k out the door for my 2k Sport 34k about four years ago. It will more than likely have the 0133 head that has ben a bit more troublesome than the earlier ones (I belive it it was more of a batch thing than the whole searies). It will more than like have the precats on the manafold if it was a late 99 made 2k you may get luckey, and it won't have them (mine doesn't). It will have a low pinion D30 front axle that isn't quite as strong as a HP rev cut version. However if you don't plan on going with a big lift, big tires it shouldn't be to much of a problem.

EDIT: BTW that is idenitical to mine even no cruse. You will miss it.

I was thinking of going with Rustys 3" lift and 31s. LP D30 handle it? Nothing hardcore.

Honestly, I don't think I would buy. I got my 1996 for $12000 in 2000, and it was immaculate with everything, only 4 years old, as opposed to 6 and a half, and my girlfriend just bought a 2000 sport 4X2 for $3700 on ebay, with 122K miles. I don't think lack of 4 wheel drive and 60,000 more miles should subtract $6300. Heck you could add 4 wheel drive for less than $1000 and come out way on top!

Well, I bought it $9850 (everything included). Looking at the other XJs around town, this seems to be a good deal. Most other XJs had double the milage and close to the same price. The NADA avg. retail is $10k and avg. trade-in is $8050.

not to be a jerk, but saving $150 (1.5%!!) on a nearly $10K purchase isn't saying much. i woulda said $9000 or piss off...10% savings over what they are asking. you know they made a profit on the previous owner's purchase and lowballed him on the trade-in. now they made another big profit on you. if you had a trade in, they lowballed you on that and will profit from the next dude. this is how is goes...gotta cover overhead

Back