• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cruise control problem

sys_eng

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92, 4.0l, AW4, 4.10 gears, with 240k miles on it

My XJ used to have an issue where when the cruise was engaged it would slow down on any incline and lug the engine, it wouldn't open the throttle at all to maintain speed.
I found a small crack in the vac line boot @ the cruise servo that I thought was causing the problem, after fixing the boot the problem still existed, eventually I tried cycling the cruise on and of while @ constant speed to reset the computer this created the current problem, when the cruise is engaged at between 50 and 70 mph even the smallest hill or slope will cause a kick down and downshift.
When I was running 31's and the problem was bad enough that I quit using the cruise (speedo adjusted), I put on 33's and the problem has gotten better but is still there (speedo reads about 9% low). I tried to do the reset the computer thing again but no luck.

Any one have any ideas?

Back