• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires

Buccaneer

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone tell me the largest tires that will fit on a stock 2000 Cherokee with the original wheels without causing any issues? Original size: P225 75R15

Thanks in advance!

Ok, A few things.
This is OEM tech, so it's meant for things that originally came on your XJ. Mod tech is for modifying it. Things like lift and bigger tires belongs in there.
Secondly, the search button is your best friend.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php
it's been covered about a gajillion times.

30x9.5's will fit without any trouble.
31x10.5's will fit if you bumpstop or trim and can live with some rubbing of the tires on your LCA's.
You can shim the steering stops to stop the rubbing. I say 31x10.5's are the biggest you can fit with no lift and not too much rubbing.
here's a link to adjusting your steering stop.
http://stu-offroad.com/steering/stop/steerstop-1.htm
Welcome to Naxja.

OK, OK,

So I am a little new to the site but I appreciate all the info and for covering this topic a gajillion and 1. I need to spend a little more time surfing the site.

Thanks Again

31x10.50's is really cutting it close, how heavy is your wife and mother-in-law, that could be the deciding factor... 31x9.50's, no problem just dont hit any sudden bumps while returning from the hardware store with a few bags of sand or cement back there... and shim the steering stops on back side of the wheels, looks like a bolt that does not do anything, back it out and build it backup with some washers...3 or 4 should do it..
LT235's and 30x9.50's will work well, just don't disconnect the front sway bar when off roading, that extra 1/2" from 235 to 30 makes a difference, I can disconnect with 235's but not 30's...not unless they are really really really worn down...

It *may* also depend upon how much sag you have in your springs. I run 30x9.5s with no rubbing whatsoever, but i am running coil-over shocks in the rear as well. I had 235/75/15's before with stock springs/shocks and also had no probs. Here's a pic with the 235s:

xj.jpg

And here's one with the 30x9.5s

jeepbfg.jpg

Dave

How much did the coil over shocks raise the rear ? like a 1/2 or 1 inch ?

I run 30 x 9.50 BFG's on my '01 with a 2" BB. I put the tires on about 3 weeks before the lift, and had no issues at all.

RichP said:
How much did the coil over shocks raise the rear ? like a 1/2 or 1 inch ?

X2, and how is the ride?

I put sense-a-trac coilover shocks on the back of my jeep and they raised it up about 1.5" and improved the ride a little. I now have a 2" RE kit with 235's and no front swaybar. As soon as I get a new front R&P Its gettin either 30x10 swamper radials or 31x10.5 SSRs.

SCW said:
X2, and how is the ride?

Like XJ4x4 said, it raised the back about 1.5" initially. It has since settled to about 1". I would say the ride is only slightly stiffer than what I had before. The SensaTrac coil-overs have a progressive rate spring that stiffens as the load increases. With four aboard (or 2 with a load of gear), the ride is very nice with no noticeable sag in the rear. I put them on because I tow a boat and the stock springs were having probs dealing with it.

Dave

Back