• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cleghorn - Father's day

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
Any takers? I'm going to run it both ways starting at the 15 freeway. Should take about five to six hours. There's cel phone reception over a good part of the trail, you'll still be able to call dad.

:sunshine:

kirk_cleghorn.jpg

What time are you meeting?
:viking:

saki669 said:
What time are you meeting?
:viking:

9:30 Cleghorn exit, east side of the I-15.

Last edited:
Bent said:
Cool.

EDIT: Anybody else?

See you there.

TIM

Hehehehehehe........

:shocked:

Yes, in a manner of speaking. Fun is such a big word.

:rof:

Lots of pretty flowers!

SlimsXJ said:
OK , Show the FUN PICS.
Don't ya think yer a little pushy for this late in the day? Huh?

:D

Fun is such a subjective word. I mean....well, the flowers were in mid season, really get's the testosterone pumping. After all, isn't that part of the reason we pump all that cash into our rigs? To go look at the purrrdy little flowers?
DSC031301.jpg

The yellow ones, the red ones and even the fluffy white ones.

If you looked out to the surrounding hills the blooms really stood out in the chaparral. Fire does a fine job, albeit a little messy job of clearing out all the dead undergrowth. There are plenty of stark reminders standing above the new growth that the trees are pushing up from their roots. Fun enough so far Dave? It's far too serene a place to be flirt'n with disaster. Isn't that right Dave? Well, Dave?
DSC03121.jpg

But no, some people can't leave well enough alone.

Some people would rather look at the dirt than at the flowers. Why is that? Are these the same people that as a child ate dirt? Really now, dirt is dirt; it's dirt colored. Why is it that some people can't just look at something without having to get up so damn close they could almost rub their nose in it? Why is that Dave?

DSC03142.jpg

Just had to get a closer look, huh? Any closer, any tiny teensy weensy little bit closer and you'd a been lookin to buff out a few not so teeny scratches. Gotta keep that whole Molly Hatchet thing goin, huh?

A closer look, (no pun intended) a little spotting and throttle and it was time to try and take a closer look at the sky. Did you even ask Rick if he wanted a closer look? He already saw the sky, remember?

DSC031451.jpg

Back in my Heap and down the trail we go. All is well and fine in my world as I prepare for a rematch with the hole that flopped me last winter. I kept to the left and was able to stay out of the void. It was at this time that I made a radio transmission, the topic of which I won't say for the benefit of those behind me. About another twenty yards down the notch
I was once again able to check my side mirror.

You just had to bitch slap disaster, isn't that right Dave? It's just dirt, it looks the same from ten feet away as it does from twenty!

DSC031471.jpg

Rick, I think that if you were going to bail, you missed your queue!

Hill climbing and rock crawling just not enough for you? Decided to do a little XJ climbing while you were out, huh? So this is why you left your rig at home, didn't want to walk on your own doors. Nice guy!

DSC031481.jpg

It didn't look to me like Dave was going to be able to pull forward, not like last time. :D We were about 100 yards from the fire road that this trail crisscrosses, I went on down to come back up from behind. After a really quick three and a half miles, then slowing down after my own little near incident, I find this guy blocking the trail.

DSC031501.jpg

Oh wait, never mind.

After about an hour with a winch, snatch block and some straps we had the XJ scooped up and into trach bags. Nobody will ever know we were there, no-one at all.

DSC031701.jpg

Should have just looked at all the pretty flowers and left the dirt alone. You guys got to take some home with you after all. Everybody happy now?

:D

Last edited:
This Happend Yesterday?

Since I have done the same thing in the same spot last year, I already had a working plan. Although the fire had burnt the tops off of the scrub, their root balls were still intact. We ran a tree saver around a manzanita at the very base to attach a snatch block. We pulled a cable the 50+ feet to the block and back to Dave's (SlimsXJ)rock rails.
DSC031551.jpg

Rick (89xjrick) spotted while I wedged myself into the V-notch and then while I pulled with my winch. BTW, i will be a while before that driver's door opens again.
DSC031511.jpg

When the rig was on most of it's wheels, Rick moved the attachment point forward on the rails so that I could keep tension on Dave as he crept around the corner and onto a stable location.

DSC031521.jpg

Once Rick thought Dave could get enough traction, and was flat enough to have oil in the pan, he spotted as Dave backed up out of the hole.

DSC031531.jpg

We topped off the fluids, Dave and Rick went back up and cleaned up the spill and we were on our way again.

DSC031571.jpg

That ought to buff right out.

DSC031681.jpg

Did I mention that Sunday was a beautiful day.

Did you call your father?

Last edited:
Jump This said:
I know....its like watching NASCAR just for the wrecks...
I'm only human!:greensmok
Rick R:sunshine:

Rick, you are a sick man.

These are the two best shots I took, Rick nay have got some better ones. The damage was localized, surprise surprise, around the "A" pillar and the mirror. The fender and lower doors were hit previously. Wanna guess which trail? :D The window inside the drivers door also shattered, he still has the pieces though.

DSC0317211.jpg

Now it's a four door.

DSC031741.jpg

I left the pix full size for you there, you sicko! ;)

So do we get a story?

Like:

Everything was fine and then it wasn't

or

I was right on the edge and then I farted and over it went

or

I was driving along just fine when all of a sudden a gang of midgets flipped me over... Darnest thing...

:dunno:

lol! Great pics. I cringe when such a clean XJ gets flopped. Then after that, it's a "awww F*** it" attitude.

Back