• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ac compressor burned up

Trbocharg

NAXJA Forum User
I was driving today and started to smell something burning up. I really thought it was someone else’s car until white smoke started coming in through the passenger’s foot well. I pulled over and popped the hood to find the AC compressor smoking with and a sticky liquid burning and oozing from it. The compressor was also hissing and soon after the drive belt broke off from the heat.

Can anyone tell me where to purchase a new compressor for relatively cheap?

Also I really don’t use my AC very often (Gas is just too expensive)
Are there any kits for onboard air that are bolt on in this same position? (I mean other than buying a new Sanden compressor and converting it.)
Are there any ac compressor eliminator kits out there?

Thanks,
Adam

Last edited:
Are you sure the compressor is toast? It may just be the clutch that locked up. As far as eliminating it altogether, I believe there are dummy pulleys and on-board air options...sorry don't know specifics. Prolly read it on here...

mikejwil said:
Are you sure the compressor is toast? It may just be the clutch that locked up. As far as eliminating it altogether, I believe there are dummy pulleys and on-board air options...sorry don't know specifics. Prolly read it on here...

Even if it was the clutch that siezed, the compressor is obviously toast now to be spewing out fluid. It obviously blew out the seals or something else in the compressor, unless it was simply the O-rings (depending on year) that blew out, if your lucky. Sorry dude, my vote is for a new compressor, personally I would look at a recycler that guarantees it to not leak and to work. They are about $300+ at parts stores! Oh, and if the compressor clutch is siezed, you wont be able to spin it freely with the belt removed. When the clutch doesnt have power going to it, i.e. AC off, and the belt removed, it should spin very freely, even if the compressor is siezed.
-Jerry

Last edited:
Jerry My truck is a 97
Does this eliminate the chances of the O-rings blowing?
Is there a rebuild kit on the market?
How hard is the job at hand?
I appreciate any input you or any other NAXJA member can give me.
I’m currently trying to by my first house and money is real tight right now.

Thanks,
Adam

basicly its pretty straight forward if your mechinicly inclined you will need o-rings and the like read about it first i would suggest having a pro evacuate and charge it however as thats another thing all togeather and done improperly youll be right back where ya started ask on here for the name of the web site about auto a/c its very informitive sorry i dont remember the site

Back