• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock fog light switch wiring (I searched for over an hour)

MPETESS10

NAXJA Forum User
after scanning through 40 returned pages of threads from a couple different search terms I still dont know what I need to know
please help me

I have a 99 XJ
I wanna wire up some driving lights
I have a stock switch which I wanna use but wiring a relay in since my jeep wasnt originally eqipped with fogs

my switch has black pnk purple and ornage wires on the back
which ones need to go to what to make the switch function properly

thanks

I am not looking to completely rewire anything all I wanna do is use the factory switch to hook up some aftermarket fogs with a relay in the middle somewhere so I dont overload the switch
I just need to know of the 4 wires on the back of my switch
orange pink purple and black
which ones need to go to what to make the switch "the trigger" for the relay

I am not using huge off orad lights just 55 watt driving lights same as stock
but I want a stock switch

Easiest method is to get the wiring kit from www.jeepsareus.com, plugs into the wiring harness and finishes up with a single wire coming thru the firewall that you use to operate a relay that normally comes with the hella light kits, When you pull your switch panel you will see a connector back there for the factory fogs, ignore it, while it does have power the wires go to the PDC but there is no socket in the PDC for the fog relays so it's red herring unless you find a PDC at a boneyard and swap yours out, more work than it's worth IMO...
Also worth mentioning is jeepsareus carries the 4 switch panel which allows you to add an additional switch so you could have one for fogs and one for driving lights, the only difference is which source you choose to power the switch for high or low beam trigger.

a factory install is not worth close to 100 bux to me
I would rather have a factory switch but if buying that kit or doing a hellacious amount of rewiring is the only way to use a factory switch with non factory fogs then I will just deal with the plain old toggle switch

Take a meter and check the factory switch - there's no reason you can't use it with the kit. Also, check the terminal sizes on the back - they are likely 1/4" "spade" style terminals, and will also accept individual wires (I've wired up my fan bypass switces on RENIX with spare OEM switches, to maintain a "clean" look...)

5-90

5-90 said:
Take a meter and check the factory switch - there's no reason you can't use it with the kit. Also, check the terminal sizes on the back - they are likely 1/4" "spade" style terminals, and will also accept individual wires (I've wired up my fan bypass switces on RENIX with spare OEM switches, to maintain a "clean" look...)

5-90

The 97+ use an amphenol type connector, inch long maybe, I seem to remember the fog switch had either 4 or 6 wires, not sure, been a while since I did mine. It has a bulb inside. But yea, you can figure it out with a meter.

If I were to guess, id say
Orange is the backlight power, black is ground, pink/purple is power in/out?

are the wires different guages?
Do you have a multimeter?

The wiring is really light, 16 or 18ga, it normally operates two relays in the PDC. The add in kit has 14ga mostly, but then again it's set up to operate a relay and the outside part of the factory add on kit has 14ga, the hella kit has 12ga...

well they arent hella lights I am using
they are just cheapo 55 watt fogs so iw ould think as long as I use a relay the stock wires on the back of the switch should be fine
I got a buddy who is pretty good at wiring and electrical stuff so me and him are gonna sit down and figure out what is what
at least this gives me a good point to start from
thanks guys

Heck, lay it all out on a bench with a 12v battery and get it to work there first..

Back