• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AT gasket?

That's what I did. Smeared RTV black on the cork/rubber gasket. No leaks. Its been about 38K since...

EDIT - Actually, I did not do that on the AT gasket (just the diffs). Good thing too, cuz I stripped the damn drain plug and had to take it back off to replace with a permanent bolt/lock-nut. The cork/rubber gasket has been holding fine on its own.

Last edited:
While we're on this subject...
The only Form A Gasket which says that it's OK for AT is the blue stuff. Does it really make that much of a differance? Is it that the blue stuff is "sensor safe" and the red and black aren't?

Ken C.
1988 Cherokee, 1986 Cherokee (original owner), 1942 Willys (not original owner)

I use RTV Black - haven't used Blue in years. I just don't like the way it's worked for me... Could just be me.

In extreme cases, the usage of LocTite #518 Gasket Eliminator is indicated, and it works well with or without a gasket (but better if it has a gasket to bolster it.) I've used this stuff to seal up transmissions I've rebuilt on CASE Forklifts, just because the gaskets couldn't be had, and it's still working just fine.

Still, Black is good for general use.

5-90

I've always used RTV Red for high heat (not Ultra Copper, just red RTV) everywhere (that way I don't have ot fuss with multiple tubes).

I've used it on the trans with care (I think it says sensor safe - I'm just cautions).

Are you talking about using a rubber / cork gasket or did you find a REAL rubber gasket? If so where?

GSequoia said:
I've always used RTV Red for high heat (not Ultra Copper, just red RTV) everywhere (that way I don't have ot fuss with multiple tubes).

I've used it on the trans with care (I think it says sensor safe - I'm just cautions).

Are you talking about using a rubber / cork gasket or did you find a REAL rubber gasket? If so where?

Napa, it came with the filter kit. I have a 93' if that makes a difference.

Back