• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC System

tV8bird

NAXJA Forum User
Just finished putting in a rebuilt compressor and drier along with a new expansion valve in my '92 XJ...
Now I need to get a charge. The system was never converted for R134a, and the compressor came with what I believe is R12 oil in it already. I wanted to get R12 put in again, but it's so damned expensive...some places will actually evacuate, convert, and charge the system for R134a for less money...
WHICH IS THE BETTER VALUE?! (My AC used to consistently get down to about 32 degrees F, and I'm in Florida.)

Just get it converted, have a shop vac it down and charge it right. Although R-12 cools better, it's not worth it. If you develop another leak, you'll have to pay for R-12 charge, gets rediculously expensive.

I'm in the same boat in Denver. We just had a spell of upper 90 degree days and not having A/C was a real bummer!

Anyone worth recommending in Denver for a R12 -> R134A conversion?

Thanks in advance!

tV8bird said:
Just finished putting in a rebuilt compressor and drier along with a new expansion valve in my '92 XJ...
Now I need to get a charge. The system was never converted for R134a, and the compressor came with what I believe is R12 oil in it already. I wanted to get R12 put in again, but it's so damned expensive...some places will actually evacuate, convert, and charge the system for R134a for less money...
WHICH IS THE BETTER VALUE?! (My AC used to consistently get down to about 32 degrees F, and I'm in Florida.)
Before you fire up your A/C you will want to flush out the lines and the condensor(if not replace it) to avoid a problem down the road. If your old compressor grenaded, there is a chance that some of the metal particles are caught in the system and will destroy your new compressor. I learned the hard way. Condensor can be had for around $120 from
1-800-RADIATOR.

If you are... and you should be replacing the condensor to go to R-134, get a paralell flow type condensor. makes all the difference with the R-134. Try www.ackits.com for one. (best price I found for direct fit for XJ) Without it I could not get the XJ cool enough, Just changeing that out made all the difference in the retro fit. I know what you mean bout Florida heat I am just west of you on the beach..
Good Luck

Back