• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing XJ D44 Wheel Bearings Again!!

waxer

JEEP APPRENTICE
Staff member
NAXJA Member
I just wanted to make sure things go correct this time around.

I'm replacing the bearings that have the seal installed incorrectly as I have to cut them to get them off.

I'm using Timken SET10 bearings and I noticed that the race does come off, but there is a collar that remains. This collar does tap off as well, and my question is should I leave this collar on or take it off prior to installing the new bearings. Heres a picture...

race_collar.jpg

Has anyone either left this collar on or removed it prior to installation.

Here's a pic with the collar removed (hanging below) and the race taken off
IMG_0485.sized.jpg

And a pic with the race put back on and the collar hanging below
IMG_0487.sized.jpg

Is it ok to just discard that collar and install? It appears that gear oil will be able to get to the bearing better. I'm not sure if that collar is supposed to be there to act as a spacer for the seal.

Last edited:
I'd leave the bearing assembled, just like it came out of the box. Use all the peaces that came with it. The last time I installed new bearings on my XJ D44, they didn't come apart when I pressed them on to the axle. Leave the assembled and install into the housing.

That collar is supposed to be there. Once assembled, the retainer plate presses on the seal, which presses on that collar, which butts up against the outer race. If you remove that collar you will have no preload on the tapered bearing and you'll destroy it very quickly. The manf didn't throw in extra parts to confuse you. :}

lawsoncl said:
That collar is supposed to be there. Once assembled, the retainer plate presses on the seal, which presses on that collar, which butts up against the outer race. If you remove that collar you will have no preload on the tapered bearing and you'll destroy it very quickly. The manf didn't throw in extra parts to confuse you. :}
x2
:thumbup:

Back