• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stearing Wheel off after lift

ZMfx

NAXJA Forum User
After I instilled my 4.5" Rustys lift, my steering wheal was turned 45 degrees to the right while driving straight. Do I need a wheel alignment?
It looks like you can extend the steering rod that attaches to the pitman arm, and that might move the wheel back into normal driving position.
It drives fine, just looks odd and blocks gauges.
Any help would be great!

Get it aligned! Not only does the steering wheel go out of alignment the toe is also affected, due to the XJ steering linkage design. Trust me I know I wrecked a brand new set of tires after lowering my XJ from 8" to 6" and not getting it aligned.

But to answer your question yes you need to adjust the draglink length to straighten the wheel.

Tim

Part of the problem is that unless you installed an adjustable track bar with your lift, your front axle is no longer centered under the vehicle. That's going to make it very difficult for a technician to get an accurate alignment.

I did a 3" pro comp lift on my 92XJ 2wd Sport

steering wheel is off as well. Drives fine and straight, just looks weird because of the steering wheel....

would i be having the same problem?

If you do anything to change the ride height of the front end the alignment will be thrown off...get it properly aligned or kiss those expensive front tires goodbye. Been there have the T-shirt...

Get the front end aligned as the tie rod will need adjustment after any lift to maintain proper toe. Then when that is done, adjust the drag link to center the wheel.
Mattk

Back