• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Synthetic Oil Questions

Karlm

NAXJA Forum User
Do I need to do anything special when I switch to synthetic fluids, or can I just dump them in and go? Its tie for me to do an oil change, and with my new job, my commute will be really short, so I'm looking for extra protection for all the new short stop and go trips.

I just did a full oil and filter change and all is good :). THat was many many moons ago...... and knock on wood... no problems nor leaks :)

Kejtar

Just drain the old oil and add the new snythetic and new filter. I don't know of any synthetics that aren't compatable with regular engine oil. According to Castrol you can mix synthetics and oil together in the engine and they will blend (for example adding a quart of synthetic if your oil was low). The idea that synthetics will harm your engine if you mix them with conventional oil is a myth. Also, synthetics will not void a factory warranty as long as they meet the SAE standards that regular oil has to meet. (I don't know where you could find synthetic engine oil that doesn't)

Back