• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Oil Pressure?

Andy73

NAXJA Forum User
Just recently my oil pressure has begun to jump to 80+ lbs and the gauge is irratic. (Goes from 60 lbs to pegged and does not depend on engine RPM's)

I figured I had some gunk clogging an oil passage so I ran a crankcase cleaner in it, changed the oil and filter, and I am getting the same results.

There are no other warning signs of a problem. No overheating, extra ordinary noise etc. Oil pressure is not THAT high ALL the time.

Could the gauge be bad? Any other ideas?

Look for a loose connection at the sender (open circuit would register at the upper peg of the meter in the non-computer-driven dash -- not certain which one you have)

Could also indicate a weak or broken engine ground...

First thing would be to change your pressure sender.

ChiXJeff

My gauge read high when I bought it, and it was a loose sender connection (as Satan said). Actually it was more corroded than loose, but after a good cleaning and tightening it now works fine.

Thanks for the info. Last night I disconnected the wire from the sender and then re-connected it. Now the gauge is reading properly. I'll just keep my eye on it, maybe do something more resolute later.

Thanks Again!

Back