• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheated now won't start

3XJFamily

NAXJA Forum User
My daughter overheated her 87 4.0 . . . Of course I'm 5,000 miles away and won't be back for a week. . .

I topped off all the kids fluids and think I might have put too much antifreeze in the overflow bottle. She described the overflow bottle (old-style closed system) boiling over, and now it cranks but won't start. I'm hoping it will be as simple as that and moisture in the distributer. I'll be home in a week so. . . where to begin?

I overheated mine and the alternator stopped working. Wierd huh... My point is that it depends on what she call overheat. Did she drove the Jeep "overheated"? did she turned the engine Off inmediattly? al depends on what she did when she realizxe that the Jeep was overhetad.
Knowing women she must have drove the Jeep and she suddenly realized it was oveheated because the engine stalled and then stop working.... Hope this is not the case...

This is all I know so far:

"it got all the way hot… WAY red. And I don’t know for how long…basically until it was too late and the engine was smoking, which happened right as I was exiting to try and pull over.

Once I noticed, It probably took me a good 5-10mins to pull over, there were no edges on the highway. "

Of course, "smoke" may be steam. . . one can hope. This is a sweet Laredo with a factory dana 44 and spare carrier, I hope it isn't going to be reduced to parts. . .

Good chance at a blown headgasket.

Fortunatly, thats pretty easy to fix, all things considered.

LS1Jeep said:
Air- Fuel -Spark ???

yes, yes, yes.. . . I had her run it by a friends shop he got it fired up, . . . Coolant smell from the exhaust and a MASSIVE power loss - guessing head gasket and maybe a hole in a piston. Figuring she drove it for at least 15 min at highway speed with it pegged in the red.

Back