• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

temp and oil press gauge not working

flyingphil

NAXJA Forum User
I jsut put in a gauge cluster with tach and assorted gauges and the water temp gauge and oil pressure gauge don't seem to get with the program here. The oil press just goes to full tilt while the temp gauge just sits at the minimum. I've checked the connections in the back, and everything seems fine. What am I missing, the sender units? Could the wires have shorted somehow? Jeez, I really could use some help guys...

Phil of the north.:explosion

flyingphil said:
I jsut put in a gauge cluster with tach and assorted gauges and the water temp gauge and oil pressure gauge don't seem to get with the program here. The oil press just goes to full tilt while the temp gauge just sits at the minimum. I've checked the connections in the back, and everything seems fine. What am I missing, the sender units? Could the wires have shorted somehow? Jeez, I really could use some help guys...

Phil of the north.:explosion

Yes, you need the sender units. The senders for the idiot lights are just switches, rather than variable resistors which you need for gauges. All the plug connections are compatible, so all you need are the senders. Make sure you get the ones for the right year. 91 and up units are reversed in polarity from the earlier ones. Also make sure you get the right temperature sender. It's the one near the back of the head, not the one up front on the thermostat housing. The front one is for the engine computer and is not shared by the gauges.

Thanks a bunch, just made my day a whole lot better! A simple trip to my local jeep dealership and V
VOILÀ! Working cluster. If you ever pass through Wainwright Alberta, stop by for a couple of cold one, I owe ya.

Phil

Ok, just got back from the local jeep dealership and I kinda don,t know what to do. The guy doesn't know what the hell I'm talikng about when I mention the ''other sending units'' for the prestone temp and, don't get me started on the oil sensor... Does anybody have the parts numbers for these parts? I'm kinda at a loss here guys. Thanks

Phil

Back