• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87xj with stock dana 44

Ron Hyslop

NAXJA Forum User
The bearings on my rear dana44 are loose on the axle shafts, and howle like crazy. Since they're a press fit, I understand that the whole axle shaft is warn out and have to be replaced at considerable expence, about $900 for the two of them. Anybody Know of a source other than a dealer.

I don't understand the need to change the axle shaft if the bearing is bad. The bearing is a replaceable part, along with the oil seal. Yes it's pressed on. You can either have them pressed off and the new bearing pressed on, or you can cut the old bearing retainer and bearing off, then use a long section of pipe to drive on the new. The bearings and seals are about $40. Auto parts stores frequently offer the service of removing and replacing the parts for about $30 an axle. So, for arround $100, you could have axles with new bearings and seals.

The old bearings are loose on the axle shaft and will not stay in one position, hence all the noise as the bearing slides around on the axle shaft. I was hoping that a machine shop could turn the axle shaft down a tad and press on a repair bearing with an undersize diameter, but so far no luck.

Back