• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$%#%#% Tie Rod

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK.... I'm fighting the damn thing and it's not cooperating with me..... I busted off the damn zerk a while ago and I kind of threaded on a new one onto it (couldn't really tap it right as the tap has too long of a narrow portion to get in there and I didn';t want to ruin the tap). Anyways...... that kind of held on till I went to grease it and I pulled it off along with the grease gun :mad: . Anywyas, so now I have a gaping hole there.

What are the reperscussions of that? It's well greased and there is grease there and it doesn't seem to be dripping out. I know I should replace it, but my $$ went in all the other directions.....

Kejtar

Well you really want to keep the dirt and water out.I have an idea that I have not tried but think could work------
Get the blue RTV,clean the area and the threads in the hole as best you can.Kind of smear the RTV around the hole and try to work a blob into the threads,not so deep as to displace the grease in the joint,Let it set up overnight or longer.
If it sets up like it does in the aplicator tube between uses,it SHOULD work until you can replace the rod end.
HTH
Wayne

Find a cap for the hole. Then get the needle adapter for your grease gun. Then remove the cap and shoot grease into it, then replace the cap.

well there is no zerk pieces to dig out... the hole is empty.... that's part of the problem :( and yeah I know I'm cheap..... but I got a good excuse: I need the $$ for Moab....

Kejtar

Kejtar said:
well there is no zerk pieces to dig out... the hole is empty.... that's part of the problem :( and yeah I know I'm cheap..... but I got a good excuse: I need the $$ for Moab....

Kejtar

Empty hole?? Then just thread a new one in with plenty of red locktite, that should hold till you can replace it.

Rev

BTW. Broken zerk? been there, last time was at a lunch stop ON the trail, between the water crossings. Believe it or not...someone had a spare. Carry extras they are cheap.

yeah... now I got two sets now: metric and standard :)

the only question I have is what idiot designed for that zerk to be on the bottom!

Back