• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

X-Fer case output seal and U-Joint replacement

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to be replacing the transfer case output seal and the rear u joint at the rear end. How hard are these to change and do I need any special tools?

1990 XJ RE 4.0 AX-15 NP231 D44

Thanks for the help

U joint is cake. The last time I did them I remember needing a nasal nose pliers to get the little clips out. Then I used a small block of wood (2x4) and propped the driveshaft on that so the u joint was off the ground. I kinda straddled the driveshaft so I could keep it from rolling so I could really hit the end cap hard. I was not getting kinky with my shaft. I used a socket extension and picked one cap and just started wailing away until the opposite cap was sticking out of the yoke enough to grab with a vise grip and pull it off. Then just go the other way and get that second cap off and you're good to go. Not hard at all.

Can't speak on the output seal as I have yet to do one. Mine is going on the front side of the TC and I will be doing it soon. Looks like you just need to remove the front driveshaft (or rear in your case). Go rent a seal puller and it will make life easier. I've heard of people getting the old one out with a screwdriver but I'm sure it takes a while. I believe the new one will go in with an appropriate sized socket and some easy persuasion. Let us (or at least me) know how that TC seal job goes eh? Good luck.

-river

Back