• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shims for SYE?

chad

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed a SYE and driveshaft last night but I didn't have time to install the shims under the leafs. Everything is great, no vibes, should I go ahead and install them anyway? Thanks ahead of time,
Chad

Shims are used to correct u-joint operating angle so that vibrations aren't produced. So, if you don't have vibes, don't bother.

ChiXJeff

I would do whatever it takes to get the pinion pointed straight up at the t-case yoke. Well, actually a degree or so below it, because the pinion will rise just a tad under power while driving.

This will keep things smooth at higher speeds and also keep away the premature wear for the rear ujoint.

Even small driveline vibes are hard on parts, such as pinion and output shaft bearings.

Not more than a couple-hour job, and I would consider it worthwhile preventive maintenance.

Jared

I stuck a 2* shims in my after the SYE installed and had no issues since!

I am at about 4" with me RE lift and I plan on adding a 1.5" shackle and spacer to that. I would really like to wait until I need new tires and move up to 32's before I add the BB. I measured for a shim and I need a 3.5* shim now. Will that shim be ok for when I move up a few inches?

Bottom line here is you need to check the angles and shim accordingly.There is no magic one-size fit all number!

So I find the differance in angle between the pinion and the DS, divide by 2 and that's the angle shim I should use? Or maybe one degree less?

You will get a net change of about 1.5 times the amount of the shim,in other words a 6 degree shim will net about 9* of change!

Any spring shop will have them.Depending on the shim type you could either need a longer threaded portion or a longer center pin.RE uses a spacer to length the pin.

Back