• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no tach speedo fuel level

92xj96xj96zj

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought this XJ for a very good price, but the tach, speedo, odometer, and fuel guage don't work. The voltmeter, oil pressure and ect work fine. I swappeed the cluster with the one from my 92 and it's not the circuit board for the cluster. The cluster works fine in my 92. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

not getting power at the connector plug. There is a TSB for TJs about theat exact problem. I imagine they are similar, because the clusters are. The TSB calls for a power jumper wire past the connector if I remember correctly.

I had intermittent problems with the same gauge group (Tach, speedo, fuel). The connector has both a power lead and a ground for only those four. The other gauges and lights have a separate ground. In my case they would sometimes not work; especially in the winter when it wwas really cold. They would also jump when I went over a bump.
I ran a ground lead from one of the LGD traces on the circuit board directly to the firewall. Solved the problem. The LGD trace is the ground for the problem gauge group; and the GND is the ground for all the others.

Back