• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Burping the coolant system

Switch1625

NAXJA Forum User
I need to burp the cooling system on my 90 cherokee, cloosed cooling, and im trying to get the temp sensor (i tihnk thats what it is) off because i dont have a deep enough socket. What is the right sized socket anyways? Im tryin with a 14mm and my set goes 13mm,14mm,17mm, and the 17 is too big.

SO what size socket do i need, and is it called a deep socket that i need?

Im really confused lol

It's a "deep well" socket, and I seem to recall it being an "inch" size, rather than metric/ISO. I don't have a sensor handy, or I could tell you a size.

Since it's brass, use a 6-point socket, rather than a 12-point. Rounding it off would REALLY suck!

I'll give you this one for free - but I've covered it a few times in the last fortnight in posts and PMs...

Jack up the rear of the vehicle, until the rear end of the cylinder head is the highest point of the engine.

Loosen the sensor to "finger-tight."

Top off the "football" tank, and unscrew the sensor with your fingers. Leave it loose (topping off the "football" as needed) until you start to get coolant out past the sensor.

Tighten the sensor finger tight, and then an additional 1/2-turn or so with a wrench.

Lower the vehicle.

Check your coolant levels at intervals for the next week or so, and top off as necessary. If it's your daily driver, having the same coolant level for three days on the run is good enough to quit checking.

I find it helpful to put a strip of masking tape, vertically, on the side of the "football." Make a mark to where you top off the coolant, and use that to check the level. If you add, try to get it on or near that mark, to avoid confusion. You can pull the tape strip off when you're done.

Next time you open things up, you might want to search up my posts on "thermostat drilling" to make the system self-purging of air.

5-90

If your able to swing by my place you can borrow it but I wouldn't drive until its burped. Also if you work on Jeeps you need a metric and standard socket set, you find both types on these motors. Also, you need a 15mm socket because that seems to pop up a lot on XJs.

Back