• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice on 4Wheel Parts Offer

Cooper

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Everyone,

I need a little advice about the complete package deal 4wheel Parts is offering. I have been looking to upgrade my 93 XJ; it currently has the R/E 2’’ budget lift kit. 4Wheel Parts are having their Grand Opening sale for the new Thousand Oaks store. I am a newbie when it comes to working on a Jeep so their free labor offer is of interest to me. The complete package deal is, when you purchase a lift kit, wheels and tires they will install everything for Free. Take a look at the quote and let me know if you think it’s a good or not.

2 R/E RXT2610 Rubicon Twin Tube Shocks $95.98 for the pair
2 R/E RXT2611 Rubicon Twin Tube Shocks $95.98 for the pair
Freight in $ 100
Alignment $120
Lubes, Cleaners, HDW, Grease and Grinding wheels consumed $37.5
5 BFG 33x12.50 Mud-Terrain $ 849.95
5 PCW 15x8 black steel wheels $ 264.95
Tire Warranty $97
R/E6200 XJ 5.5 Extreme Duty kit $1462.99
R/E SYE kit $294.99
R/E1860 DSHAFT CVO RE1811 $294.99

The grand total was a few dollars over $4000. What do you think?

Check with the sponsors here on NAXJA! Give Richard Burrows a try at www.fullsizexjgear.com or Dirk over at www.dpgoffroad.com. There are many other places to get the equipment. Tires are OK price, but try America's Tire as well. They also offer a tire warranty. I think you can find the wheels cheaper as well. Those wheels are usually about $40 to $45 each. I think yours comes out to over $52.

As for install, DON'T PAY anyone to do it. Get all of your components, then throw a lift party. If you don't have the place or the tools, just ask around. It is highly recommended to do the work yourself and learn. You will enjoy your rig more and understand what part does what. I have had so much help with my XJ over the past 3 years, there are probably guys here that have been under it more than me...LOL.

Seriously, shop around to get the best price. You may want to consider the 4.5" kit to save a couple of bucks. If you have not regeared, you will need to consider that. I ran 33"s with my stock 3.55 gears for a few months. It was OK, but sucked gas and lost speed up large hills. I wheeled it a couple of times and it did OK, but I would suggest regearing to at least 4.56.

Finally, the SYE and driveshaft... Maybe PORC (http://www.performanceoffroadcenter...osCsid=2fa5ad5a8a4ecf8fa1349e47f858ee7a)still has their SYE kit for $180ish. Then get a local company to make you new driveshafts. I think I have a little less than $500 in 2 driveshafts and the SYE INSTALLED!

Check around about the shocks you have listed. I am not sure what the experience is, but the price is OK. Not so sure about twin tubes, but I am no shock expert.

The only thing that was appealing to me about 4 Wheel Parts is the 12 month no interest. So I did buy my gears, lockers, tires, and few small items there, BUT I had all of the worked done by folks on this list.

Well, it's a lot of info. I hope it helps.

Good Luck!

If you really don't want to do the work yourself and consider that a parts and labor quote...then its not too bad.

Cooper,

Robert makes some great points.

After doing SO much sh!t to mine, to get that far with no labor involved, zero interest, that price is not bad. Not great, but not bad. It would be very nice and the only reason you'll get dirty is cuz your the one who will have to crawl under there (of course with Aaron) and double check all their work.

$4000 for all that new in one pop, really isn't too bad. I am starting to get lazy on my junk but that'd be nice getting that all done in all one fell swoop.

The only thing I would do is put 35s on it to make Aaron feel 'small'. ;)

Good luck

-Avery

Yeha, what he said, try sponsors. Other local guys are Dan @ www.loose-nuts-enterprises.com and Ryan @ www.rawbrown.com
rpraterxj said:
Check with the sponsors here on NAXJA! Give Richard Burrows a try at www.fullsizexjgear.com or Dirk over at www.dpgoffroad.com. There are many other places to get the equipment. Tires are OK price, but try America's Tire as well. They also offer a tire warranty. I think you can find the wheels cheaper as well. Those wheels are usually about $40 to $45 each. I think yours comes out to over $52.

As for install, DON'T PAY anyone to do it. Get all of your components, then throw a lift party. If you don't have the place or the tools, just ask around. It is highly recommended to do the work yourself and learn. You will enjoy your rig more and understand what part does what. I have had so much help with my XJ over the past 3 years, there are probably guys here that have been under it more than me...LOL.

Seriously, shop around to get the best price. You may want to consider the 4.5" kit to save a couple of bucks. If you have not regeared, you will need to consider that. I ran 33"s with my stock 3.55 gears for a few months. It was OK, but sucked gas and lost speed up large hills. I wheeled it a couple of times and it did OK, but I would suggest regearing to at least 4.56.

Finally, the SYE and driveshaft... Maybe PORC (http://www.performanceoffroadcenter...osCsid=2fa5ad5a8a4ecf8fa1349e47f858ee7a)still has their SYE kit for $180ish. Then get a local company to make you new driveshafts. I think I have a little less than $500 in 2 driveshafts and the SYE INSTALLED!

Check around about the shocks you have listed. I am not sure what the experience is, but the price is OK. Not so sure about twin tubes, but I am no shock expert.

The only thing that was appealing to me about 4 Wheel Parts is the 12 month no interest. So I did buy my gears, lockers, tires, and few small items there, BUT I had all of the worked done by folks on this list.

Well, it's a lot of info. I hope it helps.

Good Luck!

cracker said:
Cooper,

Robert makes some great points.

After doing SO much sh!t to mine, to get that far with no labor involved, zero interest, that price is not bad. Not great, but not bad. It would be very nice and the only reason you'll get dirty is cuz your the one who will have to crawl under there (of course with Aaron) and double check all their work.

$4000 for all that new in one pop, really isn't too bad. I am starting to get lazy on my junk but that'd be nice getting that all done in all one fell swoop.

The only thing I would do is put 35s on it to make Aaron feel 'small'. ;)

Good luck

-Avery

Dick

99xjache said:

I think we all already knew that one, thanks for reminding us again though, Aaron.

Cooper, as nice as it is to get all the work done by someone else, unless you already have a good understanding of all of the components involved you're leaving yourself at a disadvantage. At 5.5" on 33s you are going to be getting into places where you are going to eventually break something. When, not if that happens your knowledge of your rig is going to be invaluable. One thing does immediately come to mind though, I've never heard anything positive about 4WP's technicians. I've been to the one in Riverside twice. Both times the guy at the counter was clueless as to what it was that I was looking for. In my experience, the little guy always works harder for my money that does a faceless chain store.

TIM

Here goes another opinion Cooper..
Lets do the work out at my shop.
Knowing your rig is important...
I have a full size lift and we can switch out the 8.25 at the same time
if your still interested. We could probably have a 30 built with the 4:56 and any other upgrades you wanted before and just switch it out then also.
I don't like cheap shocks...
Buying a brand new spare is great...I'm not sure I'd do it again.
anyway....I do like the labor quote from them though!
Let us know.:repair:
Rick R:sunshine:

Plus, I just found the RE6200 for you...at $400 off 4WP's price.

Id get the real SYE kit -

for the $500 you are paying, Tom Woods and Jess at High Angle Driveline can make you a much better shaft, and you get a much stronger mainshaft...

I was VERY unimpresses with my Rubicon Express driveshaft - as was Jim (yucca man)...

For the price of some pizza and $20 to help cover gas - ill help you put the lift on...

IN regards to the black steel wheels, look into the US Racing steelies. I got mine from Grand Prix in Costa Mesa for about $35 each.

Keep in mind 98% of people who know better would not let 4wheel parts rotate their tires, or change their air filter. I sure as hell would never trust those monkeys with installing a suspension properly.

Go with any other option please. going to 4wheel parts for that kinda work is like going to McDonalds for lunch, you never know what you are going to get, but you know it wont be good.

Keep in mind 4Wheel parts is good for some things, like lowballing them on tires and then dropping a 20% off coupon down when you go to pay.

xjohnnyc said:
Plus, I just found the RE6200 for you...at $400 off 4WP's price.
Where did you find it?

Thank you everyone for all the advice. I have decided not to go with the 4wheel parts offer. I plan on looking into the different local shops everyone posted and then throwing a lift party or take Rick up on his offer. Thanks again everyone, you have all provided me with some valuable information.

Regards,
Don Cooper

sintax said:
Keep in mind 4Wheel parts is good for some things, like lowballing them on tires and then dropping a 20% off coupon down when you go to pay.
For tires I ussually got to America's Tire with whole bunch of ads and printouts from various places (they even match tirerack.com after figuring the shipping and mounting). The upside of America's Tire is their road hazard warranty and the fact that they are all over (and in case you cut a tire and they're not local you call them and they tell you who to go and they cover you).

nitrogt101 said:
I'm pretty close too and wouldnt mind giving a hand, although I dont know much.... but hey, I'm there. :cheers:
You know how to open a beer?
That can be one of the most important jobs at a lift party!
Rick R:sunshine:

"4 Wheel Parts" is just that; a parts store.
I would not let them gat a wrench near anything I own.
I do buy alot of "parts" from them.
They gurantee the lowest price, and so does Central 4 Wheel drive and...
I ussually call and surf to find the lowest price I can get.
Online if you search out of state you do not have to pay tax.
Get a quote for "Delivered to my door."
Then call 4 wheel parts and have them beat it.
With a little research you can bring that quote they gave you down.

You might also bring up the fact that they said free labor;
Alignment $120? That is labor.

The lift kit is no deal. You can buy it directly from RE for $1,462.95.

Grinding wheels consumed? They would have to suck that one up as well.

If you are still considering this, you need to tell them, "You would like a better deal."

Back