• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 xj oil pressure gauge??

Jeep839

NAXJA Forum User
got a 2000 xj power everything, all fuses are good and the oil pressure gauge reads zero and does not change to anything, how do i know it is the sender if it is. Also i have a leak in the back passenger side corner of the truck inside not sure where it is coming from anyone else have this problem??

I assume your engine isnt making a racket when it is reading 0psi? My wife once had my 91 run out of oil when the oil filter used on it was the wrong one and all the oil leaked out. It made a heck of a racket, until it shut off(Lifters didnt have any oil). I dont have a FSM, but I would think that the sending unit just gives off a certain resistance for a certain pressure 20="x"ohms 40psi="y"ohms etc. Perhaps if you can find out those numbers and simulate them, youll know for sure.

Quickest way, go get another sender OR go pick up a mech oil gauge, remove the sender, screw in the mechanical gauge and start it up..
I guess the first thing I would do is make sure the sender is plugged in, it's right above the oil filter, cigar shaped thingy with a wired connector on the end.. make sure whoever changed the oil last didn't knock it loose.
The real biggie, make sure there is oil in there..

Before you buy anything, a rough check on the gauge is to unplug the wire from the sender. Because Chrysler reversed the instrument polarity between 90 and 91 I can never remember which way it goes for which years, but basically with the wire unplugged and not touching anything (ignition on but engine not running), the gauge should be all the way to one end of the range. Now stick a small screwdriver or probe into the connector on the wire and ground it to the engine block (again with the ignition on but the engine not running) and the needle should swing to the opposite end of the dial.

If the needle doesn't move, either the wire is broken or the gauge is defective. If the needle swings, then you should suspect the sender.

The sender is a variable resistor, with a range of 5 through 105 ohms. Hook up a multimeter to it and see what it reads with the ignition on but the engine not running. Then start the engine and see if the reading changes as the RPMs go up and down.

Back