• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have a 90 XJ problem HELP please.....

mike's02ls1

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I think my throw out may be going out but I'm not sure... If I have the clutch pressed in and try to take off it shutters BAD.. Also it sputters and backfires.. If you put the shifter in nuetral and rev it up it does not sputter or back fire.. Are my findings that my throw out bearing is bad or is this something serious?

Re: I have a 90 XJ problem

Someone told me it could be a TPS problem..Now if was a TPS sensor wouldn't not matter if the clutch pushed in or not? It wouldn't run right period.. I feel a bad vibration in the clutch pedal, and shifter only does it once in awhile. No check engine light except emmissions light. Drove it around the house, its tough to take off feels like it wants to stall but once going it does not act up.... Question I can't believe I'm having some many problems with this XJ... Looks like my rear main is leaking also!! Just replaced the valvecover gasket.. Why me!!!

Sounds like multiple problems. The clutch has nothing to do with the "sputtering and backfire" other than when you engage the clutch, your putting a load on the engine; it's the load that results in your "sputtering". Now "shuttering" could be a symptom of a slipping clutch--only you can determine if the "shuttering" is due to the engine "sputtering", or if it's a different problem. Address the engine problem first. Start with a major tune-up: plugs, wires, distributor cap, etc. Check for bad wiring, especially wires having to do with the ignition module & coil.

Well, I have had to change my throwout bearing 2 times in the last 2 years. Dont let these problems come as a surprise to you. It is possible that your throwout bearing is going bad, but when mine went bad there was no getting it into gear.

Are you low on clutch fluid?

Are you able to shift through all gears?

Do you feel any resistance from the clutch pedal or does it feel different than before?

It is possible that the fluid you see dripping from the rear main seal area is your clutch fluid leaking from the throwout bearing. If you are low on fluid, check every area of the line. I have had to replace everything associated with the clutch on my 90 cherokee. I will help you as much as I can.

90red

xjbubba said:
Sounds like multiple problems. The clutch has nothing to do with the "sputtering and backfire" other than when you engage the clutch, your putting a load on the engine; it's the load that results in your "sputtering". Now "shuttering" could be a symptom of a slipping clutch--only you can determine if the "shuttering" is due to the engine "sputtering", or if it's a different problem. Address the engine problem first. Start with a major tune-up: plugs, wires, distributor cap, etc. Check for bad wiring, especially wires having to do with the ignition module & coil.
Ok I will check plugs wires, and cap and rotor button.. Where is the ignition module at?

90red said:
Well, I have had to change my throwout bearing 2 times in the last 2 years. Dont let these problems come as a surprise to you. It is possible that your throwout bearing is going bad, but when mine went bad there was no getting it into gear.

Are you low on clutch fluid?

Are you able to shift through all gears?

Do you feel any resistance from the clutch pedal or does it feel different than before?

It is possible that the fluid you see dripping from the rear main seal area is your clutch fluid leaking from the throwout bearing. If you are low on fluid, check every area of the line. I have had to replace everything associated with the clutch on my 90 cherokee. I will help you as much as I can.

90red
No, clutch fluid is at max level. I can shift thru the gears fine. Clutch pedal feels to be the same.. Once I get going it is fine.. Problem is leaving from a stop..

I found my problem... Seems the bolt that holds the cam position sensor to the block and tranny is missing.. So it is moving the tranny away from the block and losing signal to the sensor... Thanks everyone

OK! That took car of the "sputtering"; how about the "shuttering"?

Back