• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to fix kinked tranny lines?

zfinger

NAXJA Forum User
So the upper control arm on the passanger side came up and smashed the lines to my tranny cooler totally flat against a bolt head for the oil pan. This is a pretty big deal right? They're really flat. I havn't been wheeling for a few weeks, so it mush have happened a while ago. Just noticed it tonight when I went to line up a brush gaurd. I havn't noticed any differances in shifting.

Back when I replaced my radiator and the line into the radiator wouldnt come out, I was told to cut the metal, slip rubber hose over it, and clamp it. That worked fine, can I use the same method to fix the kinks right above the upper control arm? I dont want to go buy new lines from the stealership. I can take pics tomorrow if anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about.

And I have bumpstops, so I'm not sure how it made it up that far.

zfinger said:
Back when I replaced my radiator and the line into the radiator wouldnt come out, I was told to cut the metal, slip rubber hose over it, and clamp it. That worked fine, can I use the same method to fix the kinks right above the upper control arm?
I did, working fine. JIM.

At least I'm not the only one with that problem. :) I'll probably try the same thing. But I will use double hose clamps on all the connections: two lines, with four clamps on each.

I'd use rubber hose as a trail fix but not a permanent one. if there is enough slack, cut out the bad area and use compression fittings.

replacements from jeep are not that expensive, nor is a couple of lines from the junk yard.

I cut the section out, go to my hardware store, get the same line, bend it to the OEM specs and replace it. There to my knolege is no way to aleviate this issue. Mines done it twice.

Nothing wrong with using rubber lines, just make sure that you use the good stuff. Gates is the best, they make a great trannsmission oil cooler hose and it is the only brand that I use. Double clamp each end and it doesn't hurt to use a double flare tool and put just a slight bulge near the end of the hard line for insurance(to keep the rubber hose from slipping off).

Back