• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need new down pipe

andrew2516

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm replacing my exhaust since my gf said she can't tell the difference between my jeep and the little white mail trucks that drive around. Anyway I've decided on the Banks knock off because my manifold is cracked and I have a cat that is a about a year old. Also I've decided on the Rusty's cat back with the 40 series. So basically I don't want to replace all this and leave the original down pipe on there to get a hole or something in a year...so I figure instead of fighting with the bolts that connect the manifold to the down pipe...I will just cut the down pipe and buy a new one.

Anyone know where I can get a new down pipe?

I dont know of anywhere to buy just the downpipe. However, if you are lifted then you do not need the massive kink in the stock downpipe for driveshaft clearance(its there for when the suspension flexes), so just take it to a muffler shop and have them make you a downpipe and weld it to your exhaust. I was quoted $40-50 bucks total to have this done, gonna take it in tomorrow. That is including labor and parts and the bolt flange(or whatever its called) to match the header. I also have the banks knock off header, and the downpipe is the only piece of stock exhaust left, i wanna get rid of that kink!

Chances are it would be pricey for me to have a down pipe made...they would need to put in the 02 bung...the flange and weld the hanger on. I would rather just buy the stock one...

anyone know where I can order a stock one?

I've asked at advance and auto zone but they both tried sending me to the dealer...which isn't going to happen.

The Banks system comes with the head tube, drop tube whatever you want to call it. You can order the head tube from Banks seperately as well. Make sure you weld up the 2.5 Flowmaster 40 system from Rusty's. I put a Magnaflow 2.5 cat in front, welded the whole thing up and besides sounding great/quieter, I get better mileage.

Last edited:
Rocketman said:
The Banks system comes with the head tube, drop tube whatever you want to call it. You can order the head tube from Banks seperately as well. Make sure you weld up the 2.5 Flowmaster 40 system from Rusty's. I put a Magnaflow 2.5 cat in front, welded the whole thing up and besides sounding great/quieter, I get better mileage.

Thanks...I was planning on having a local shop weld it up...the only thing I don't like welded is the cat...I payed $170 for it and I had to toss the stocker because some a$$ welded the old pipes almost directly to the housing before I bought the jeep.

andrew2516 said:
So I'm replacing my exhaust since my gf said she can't tell the difference between my jeep and the little white mail trucks that drive around.

Why does your XJ lack power? Is your exhaust really the problem? Did you add larger tires? Are you still running stock gears? Give us some specs on your Jeep before you jump off into replacing your exhaust system or you may just end up with a puny Jeep with a loud exhaust.

Oh, I thought he might have had a good reason to replace his exhaust. How does she like the color? Are the wheels pretty enough for her? How about the seats? Does it ride too rough?

Ralph said:
Oh, I thought he might have had a good reason to replace his exhaust. How does she like the color? Are the wheels pretty enough for her? How about the seats? Does it ride too rough?

The main reason I am replacing the exhaust is because I have a cracked manifold...and I rigged up a universal muffler with extensions to the tail pipe...which is all just rigged and leaking. Basically because I want my jeep to sound more how it looks. She loves the color...and it's funny you ask if the wheels are pretty enough...I think they are almost to pretty for the jeep. It does ride rough but its only driven on short trips.

About 6" of lift
34x10.50 LTB's
AX15 with np231
Stock gearing...but not bad considering I only run the 34"s for summer and use 4-lo when I'm offroading. Also we don't have to many rock gardens here so that helps...The jeep was basically built more for mud.
HPIM0201.jpg

Anyone know if Rusty's cat back tail pipe will rattle against the rear lift shackle?

NAPA should be able to get you the downpipe, I believe it's in the area of $150, not 100% sure though.. However, they don't commonly break...the mufflers rot out and the manifolds crack, rarely, if ever, does the downpipe have a problem. Besides, it's easy enough to replace it if it does go bad. I say save your money.

As far as fighting the bolts at the manifold, don't worry about that either. The original manifold is studded, just get a socket on there with a long ratchet and snap them off, you're putting a new manifold on there anyway. If the new manifold doesn't come with new studs, just put regular bolts through there...it doesn't have to be studs. I usually just cut them off with a torch, which is even easier if you have access to an acetelyne torch.

I was thinking of doing the same thing recently and called Midas. They said that the down pipe is stainless steel and that they usually don't need replaced. My jeep is an 89' and I didn't know they used stainless pipes back then so maybe Midas is full of $h!t. I did inspect it though and it looks pretty solid but I kind of had my mind set on a new system all the way back. Maybe someone else can comment on the "stainless theory".

andrew2516 said:
Anyone know if Rusty's cat back tail pipe will rattle against the rear lift shackle?
Mine doesn't.

I'm using a stock manifold, down pipe, and cat with Rusty's 2.5" cat back with a 50 series Flowmaster. I really didn't see much performance gain. It is louder.

I would strongly suggest at least 3.56's for the 34" tires. You will be amazed at the difference.

If it is stainless a magnet won't stick. Regardless, the downpipe won't rot out as quickly as the rest of the system because the corrosive moisture in your exaust gas does not linger in it like it does the cooler and more horizontal underbody portion of the ststem. The same factors plus the virtue of being in a slightly more protected environment helps slow the attack of moisture and grime from the outside. If it cost 50 or a hundred bones to replace it I wouldn't fix what isn't broken.

As far as Midas goes, well they ain't yer father's Midas.

I was going to replace it if it would be cheap but if its anything above $50 I don't plan on wasting money...I will probably just use my stocker. I just remember changing out the manifold on my buddys older s-10 and it was a b*tch to get those bolts out...we ended up almost melting them off.

Thanks for the help guys...everything is all ordered and I have my buddys waiting to give a hand so I'll let you guys know how it went.

Ralph said:
I would strongly suggest at least 3.56's for the 34" tires. You will be amazed at the difference.

I know it would be better...I've actually been looking for an 8.25 with the 29 spline axles since the D44 is extinct around here. If I find one out of a newer auto XJ I will be swapping front a rear.

even tho you've ordered I'll toss my thoughts in as I have that set up your talking about.
I have the real Banks, Rusty's cat back (flow 50 tho) and I got my downpipe refabbed at Midas ($200)
I had thought of leaving the stock downpipe on, but after installing the Banks, I felt no gains, which seemed odd as they were supposed to flow better. Then I realized with the stock restricive (see indent for clearance) pipe of course it can't flow as it should. Midas built a new one, but with my 3" of lift it is still hitting on right hand corners with bumps, so tomorrow it goes in to get a new one built to get it done right. If you get one made, make sure its fabbed while the rig is on a lift that is under the tires, so that the axles and drive shaft are not drooping showing more clearance that there actually is.
I think you'll like your new set up tho, I have the 50series muffler and I like the sound, if you want more the 40 should give it too you from what I have read on here. Just make sure the wife doesn't start complaing when you need to get a new stereo so you can hear it over the exhuast.
Enjoy

beakie said:
even tho you've ordered I'll toss my thoughts in as I have that set up your talking about.
I have the real Banks, Rusty's cat back (flow 50 tho) and I got my downpipe refabbed at Midas ($200)
I had thought of leaving the stock downpipe on, but after installing the Banks, I felt no gains, which seemed odd as they were supposed to flow better. Then I realized with the stock restricive (see indent for clearance) pipe of course it can't flow as it should. Midas built a new one, but with my 3" of lift it is still hitting on right hand corners with bumps, so tomorrow it goes in to get a new one built to get it done right. If you get one made, make sure its fabbed while the rig is on a lift that is under the tires, so that the axles and drive shaft are not drooping showing more clearance that there actually is.
I think you'll like your new set up tho, I have the 50series muffler and I like the sound, if you want more the 40 should give it too you from what I have read on here. Just make sure the wife doesn't start complaing when you need to get a new stereo so you can hear it over the exhuast.
Enjoy

Thats my number one reason for replacing mine, after every other inch of exhaust has been changed or replaced, I felt it was the last thing to do to the exhaust to make it flow the smoothest it can. My local exhaust shop custom bent and welded up a new piece for $50 even, this guy normally cuts me a good deal though, and he lets me hang with him under my jeep when its on the lift and watch him bend and weld as he tells me everything he's doing. He welded in the bung, which was the most complicated part. As for the connection at the header, there's nothing special there. He used the stock flange that bolts, the gasket that I had just installed, all he did was bend the new pipe at the end into a flare to match the stock one. I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow, I like it a lot better without the kink in the pipe for clearance.

Rocketman said:
The Banks system comes with the head tube, drop tube whatever you want to call it. You can order the head tube from Banks seperately as well.

Not true I called Banks and they don't make a downtube they said " The Cherokee will not benifit from this."

Yea right :passgas:

raypla said:
Not true I called Banks and they don't make a downtube they said " The Cherokee will not benifit from this."

Yea right :passgas:
Perhaps there is some confusion about the name of the tube... I'm talking about the tube that runs from the end of the header/manifold runs across the engine to the intake of the CAT. Same tube right?

If Banks doesn't make it, WTF is this

tube.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a pic of the Wrangler setup.

Call them if you don't believe me, I don't care. I'm not lying, they also said they have no plans to make one, like I said they dont belive it will benefit from it.

If they did decide to make one post back up because I would like to buy one for my system.

Back