• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to buy a DANA 44??

Jeep914x4

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace my bombed DANA 35c in my 91 cherokee 4x4. I have seen people talking about getting a DANA 44 for $400. I can't even find a new 35c or even an 8.25 for less than $700 where I live (NM). Where can I get a good replacement axle?I am not a hardcore wheeler but I have 31's and I do like to romp it so a 44 would be a nice upgrade.

My jeep is at a shop right now that is telling me it is going to cost over a grand to get my 35c up and running again. I just want to get rid of it and upgrade.

Thanks,
Mike M., New Mexico

try to find 87,87,89 XJ that's for sale in your area, those will go pretty cheap, look for Dana 44 as it was pretty common in those years, esp. 87. swap the axles and sell it for what you bought it for.

keep an eye on EBAY.. i have one listed currently. but shipping from new england would be a bit pricey i imagine... i have been to a few scrap yards and have sen a few. i make a habit to stop and ask questions when i see one rusting beside a garage.. i'm sure that rotted junkers are a lil hard to come by in your area though... like was said before, target 87 - 89's with the earlier years being a better shot. look for trucks with the big 2" reciever hitch since it was part of the towing package...
mike

I've got one here in Colorado, but it needs axle shafts, backing plates and drums. I don't know if the backing plates from the D35 would work or not. It's got 3.73 in it now with a limited slip. It also has the brake line across the axle that connects the brake cylinders. I'll take $150 for it if you wanna come get it -- I'd be willing to meet you say, in Colorado Springs if you want. I'd rather not ship it.

You might want to look into the price of finding some axle shafts before you make your decision. Lemme know.

Troy

ok arizona is like the mecca of jeep graveyards... you're kinda close.. so start calling recyclers.. i have 2 complete 44s.... but shipping from nj would kill you as said before.. if you are mechanically inclined DO NOT pay a grand for a repair on a 35c.. thats insane. go to a yard pull an 8.25 or 35 and bolt it in.. as far as i have seen dana 44s came in 87 cherokees and nothing more and they were not
" common" i have yet to see a 44 in any other year XJ and i am fastly becoming a more permanant guest at the yard than the fat old dog near the gate but i could be wrong. spring under 44s came in comanches with the metric ton package.. look locally first and if you can't find one there.. i'll find out how much it is to ship to you. One more thing i've seen a greater abundance in the " woody" XJs.. maybe that will help .

As Dave said -- despite reports they were found as late as '89, I have yet to see one in anything other than an '87. Also as Dave said, they are often found under the XJ Wagoneers, especially those with the tow package (Class 3 hitch).

The Dana 35 brakes will work on a D44, if you take everything. The offset on the backing plate is different with the big 2-1/2" D44 brakes, so you can't run D44 drums with D35 backing plates or the other way around, but if you take everything from the D35 it should work.

"Watch the for sale section here and on the Pirate board http://www.pirate4x4.com they come up all the time."

Where are the sale sections on this site and on the Pirate Board? I've looked but must have missed them. TIA.

skog said:
according to ARB webpage the D44 was avaiable form 86-91 in the XJ and from 87-89 for the MJ

http://www.arb.com.au/alac/usa/215110.pdf

skog

I have never heard of someone finding one in an 90 or 91 XJ. Everyone has always said that they 'heard' they come in XJ's as late as 89, but I've yet to ever hear of someon actually ever finding one.

Mine came straight out of an '87 "Wagonneer" XJ with the tow package.

dave said:
ok arizona is like the mecca of jeep graveyards... you're kinda close.. so start calling recyclers.

Say what!!!I just drove to Yuma to buy mine,there are alot of them right here in town starting at 800$

both of my 87 have the 44...... i personally know of an 88 with a D44 sitting in the weeds that i'm circling like a vulture..
mike

RCP Phx said:
dave said:
ok arizona is like the mecca of jeep graveyards... you're kinda close.. so start calling recyclers.

Say what!!!I just drove to Yuma to buy mine,there are alot of them right here in town starting at 800$

HUH? last time i was out there visiting my brother in tucson we picked one up for 150 bucks at a yard.. cordless sawzall and 15 mins and we were outta there and ready to start building it .

I just scored a D44 today at my local Salvage yard for $200. :)

819200324007PM22120.jpg

Back