• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running or not....

Jump This

Just another minion!
I am a bit curious here, my Jeep has been down for two weeks now. The LONGEST it has been down since I have owned it.
I have heard stories that some of us have had thier rigs down for the better part of a year (or more [Cal?])
So tell me,
What running order (or condition) is your rig RIGHT NOW?
To start , mine was taken apart so Ryan could change out the R&P and
locker/axels in both the 30 and the 44. Okay, maybe a bit longer than
two weeks... :D
I picked up both on Sat. and am currently doing the misc. welding/fabrication
upgrades to both.
Should be up and running by the end of this weekend (providing my RE parts arrive by Friday.)
So...how about you?
Rick R:sunshine:

Jump This said:
I am a bit curious here, my Jeep has been down for two weeks now. The LONGEST it has been down since I have owned it.
I have heard stories that some of us have had thier rigs down for the better part of a year (or more [Cal?])
So tell me,
What running order (or condition) is your rig RIGHT NOW?
To start , mine was taken apart so Ryan could change out the R&P and
locker/axels in both the 30 and the 44. Okay, maybe a bit longer than
two weeks... :D
I picked up both on Sat. and am currently doing the misc. welding/fabrication
upgrades to both.
Should be up and running by the end of this weekend (providing my RE parts arrive by Friday.)
So...how about you?
Rick R:sunshine:

I try to keep my jeep up and running as long as I can with as little interruption as I can. As far as I remember my red one was down for close to 2 months while I was moving stuff from the white one into it but after that, it usually wasn't down for more then a day or two while I was working on it. Now it might not always be trail ready (now it needs some work before I can take it wheeling) but it will be driveable. Example: I broke axle housing @ the Con. It was fixed on the trail (welded by the super master welder Dan Turner) and I was able to drive on it back home (I actually drove through the night cause I didn't feel like camping). After I got home @ 8 am Sunday , I was at the boneyard @ 3 pm Sunday pulling a replacement housing which I have built next weekend (took my axle out on Sat, moved all the goodies over to the new one and bolted it on Sun). So I think that the longest that my jeep was down was 2 less then 48 hours (after the original buildup). I just hate the look of it when it's non driveable ;)

mine is up and ready but waiting on axel swaps (d-30 and 44 with lockers). I had mine down for 8 months with various trans and clutch failures as well as a hand full of other repairs

As will be seen at the m&g, I'm up on blocks like yard art.

To be done:
Cut down some steering parts a quarter inch
put my OBA compressor back on (broke the bracket)
Find a small and annoying short (radio goes bzzzzzzzzzzzzz)
fix pinion angle
Fix air line in center section of the 9"
change all fluids
go to bigger tires... 33's or 35's... still deciding
a good wax job
weld up a crack in my air tank

All before I go wheeling in a bit over a week.

Good times.

well Mine is much like grants except on its own tires...

Just installed NEW AW4 and flexplate.
Reinstalled detroit locker in rear diff with 4.56 ratio
Replaced leaky rear axle seals no thanks to curries faulty machining on the axles..
Remachined axle shafts and rear full float hubs to not leak...
Installed new B&M supper cooler for trans
Removed water pump and t-stat to fix gasket leak

Still to do...

Full WJ brake and steering swap on front end.
Make new trac-bar
Install front true-trac and 4.56's
Replace steering box and pump
Installl new rad hoses
make hoses for trans cooler and filter
get new bumper and install
replace winsheild - cracked
get new tires..still can't decide 33 or 35"
Revalve front bilsteins and relocate shock mounts

Oh yeah I made myself a promise to go wheeling for my b-day.. SO I have to work like ganbusters to get this done for the 1st of july... But the jeep now has 198K on the clock without any failures in the last 2 years...

Mines my daily driver also, so its not allowed to go down for more than a day.

I used to keep it running at all times. I'd be the guy who did weekend axle builds and stuff like that to make it to work the next day. Not anymore. I get it running only when a trip is planned. Got another DD and it has been retired from that status to 'hammered sh!t' status.

That means I should have it running in the next week :D

Clean-RC said:
well Mine is much like grants except on its own tires...

Just installed NEW AW4 and flexplate.
Reinstalled detroit locker in rear diff with 4.56 ratio
Replaced leaky rear axle seals no thanks to curries faulty machining on the axles..
Remachined axle shafts and rear full float hubs to not leak...
Installed new B&M supper cooler for trans
Removed water pump and t-stat to fix gasket leak

Still to do...

Full WJ brake and steering swap on front end.
Make new trac-bar
Install front true-trac and 4.56's
Replace steering box and pump
Installl new rad hoses
make hoses for trans cooler and filter
get new bumper and install
replace winsheild - cracked
get new tires..still can't decide 33 or 35"
Revalve front bilsteins and relocate shock mounts

Oh yeah I made myself a promise to go wheeling for my b-day.. SO I have to work like ganbusters to get this done for the 1st of july... But the jeep now has 198K on the clock without any failures in the last 2 years...
Go! Go! Goooooooo!
Punch list! You'll make it.
I better be seeing you on the 1st...

Kyung

Running? Most of the time

Driveable? Hardly ever!

I usually have to wrench at least a few hours (read days) before a wheeling event and then its usually broke aftwerwards.:bunny:

Mine's also my DD, so it's always running. :) Just got my Blue Torch diff cover that I was gonna put on this weekend. But they forgot to send me a filler plug.

I AM planning on buying a beater commuter car so that the Jeep can rest in the garage.

So Kyung, is the Jeep ready for the Rubicon trip? Hopefully, I can make the July 1 run also.

xjohnnyc said:
Mine's also my DD, so it's always running. :) Just got my Blue Torch diff cover that I was gonna put on this weekend. But they forgot to send me a filler plug.

I AM planning on buying a beater commuter car so that the Jeep can rest in the garage.

So Kyung, is the Jeep ready for the Rubicon trip? Hopefully, I can make the July 1 run also.
Getting there. To do:

fab frame stiffeners/rockers
install front ox cover and route cable
fab rear bumper with receiver or put on hitch if I run out of time
install gas tank skid
install modified RK tc skid
install jks sbs and tow points
copy Remi's snorkle genius....j/k
and other stuff....
Damn! I should be out there welding right now!!!!!!!!!:wow: Too much..Running out of time.:cry:

Kyung

cracker said:
I used to keep it running at all times. I'd be the guy who did weekend axle builds and stuff like that to make it to work the next day. Not anymore. I get it running only when a trip is planned. Got another DD and it has been retired from that status to 'hammered sh!t' status.

That means I should have it running in the next week :D
yep, a DD is a beautiful thing. mine also used to have short downtimes (72hrs max?), but after getting a DD it was all over. I think it was down about 2 months to chop a bunch of frame off and link the rear.

87 4wd MJ on 33's running but MASSIVE blowbuy.
89 2wd MJ with a bad clutch and a rebuilt 4.0... Solution...
ENGINE SWAP 89 to 87 this weekend, should be fun.;)
Oh yea and finish the rock rails.

My XJ is up and running. With the exception of the axle swaps last fall it usually is. I do need to pull the rear springs out to replace the bushings, still. I do need to straiten the tie rod, maybe get a spare. If I would spend less time wheeling it I would have no problem getting these two things done. :D

The MJ had a thermostat issue last week. It got hot enough for me to find out the electric fan switch was shot. Both have been replaced and it's running nice and cool again. Like the XJ, there are parts for it sitting in the garage as well. When I finally get tired enough of the exhaust pipe rattling on the cross member I'll swap out all three of the engine and tranny mounts. Then of course there is the air conditioning to contend with. Problem there is that I have absolutely no idea where to begin with it.
Yup, plenty to whine about here.
I've been getting an itch for a YJ, but I think that's a result of some as yet undiagnosed mental deficiency. I am aware of the problem and fully prepared with a strait jacket and shackles to properly restrain myself. Insanity is fine as long as you do not become aware of it.
:jester:

Mine's running great now, but it's about to go under for a little while to do some stuff.

R&R the steering pump and box and weld the cracked frame again
new front bumper, winch and synth line
play with Grant's forklift and fab some front bumpstops
a little more sawzall and hammer time for the fenders and maybe add TJ flares
35" creepys or mtr's

This winter, mine was on jackstands for a couple of weeks in my garage as I was getting the WJ knuckles and stuff welded up. And again for 3 or 4 weeks in Scott's garage, as we scratched our heads in disbelief, cussed and waited for the right parts to arrive, to put in the t-case, drive shafts and explorer rear brakes. I still feel compelled to appoligize to Scott about that mess, every time I talk to him.:confused1

Last edited:
The longest my Jeep has been down....8 hours for my lift. Unless you count my broken axle at JV...I had it driveable the next morning so I could go home(ran out of light that night).

I don't make a habbit of letting it sit undrivable, because I have a couple other cars that have that desease...and they never get moved :( Anyone want a 69 el camino?

jonboy said:
This winter, mine was on jackstands for a couple of weeks in my garage as I was getting the WJ knuckles and stuff welded up. And again for 3 or 4 weeks in Scott's garage, as we scratched our heads in disbelief, cussed and waited for the right parts to arrive, to put in the t-case, drive shafts and explorer rear brakes. I still feel compelled to appoligize to Scott about that mess, every time I talk to him.:confused1

Ah no worries John.... It was a learning experience for both of us... Now I know where to get the oddball parts in a pinch... well except for tera....

Scott.

JohnX said:
Anyone want a 69 el camino?

If you mention that around Ethan, I will hunt you down.

Just to be accurate rick..

My jeep is in excellent running order, and being driven every day. I just cant -wheel- it .. nor my pickup .. as both seem to have different gear ratios front to rear.

That said.. sitting on the front burner right now..

WJ master and booster
Linelocks front and rear
New lower control arms, 17.25", Superflex at both ends, fixed
bilstein 5150's at all 4 corners
C-Rok steering brace
RE HD trackbar bracket and brace

HP 30
Axle tube sleeved in 3x.250" DOM tube
Knuckles turned back to -6* caster, 12* pinion
raised upper control arm mounts
raised lower control arm mounts
coil buckets centered over the tube
slightly lowered shock mounts
minor truss and gussets
U-Bolt style yoke
WJ outer knuckles and brakes
Auburn Ected 27 spline LSD/Locker
Alloy-USA 4.88 R&P
Alloy-USA 27 spline CrMo inner shafts
CTM d30/d44 u-joints
Alloy-USA 30 spline CrMo outer shafts
Alloy-USA tube seals
Timken 30 spline unit bearings
Crane CrMo diff cover
1.25x.250" DOM tie rod with WJ ends
1.25x.291" DOM draglink with high misalignment 1 ton chevy ends
1.5x.291" draglink, over the axle with superflex joints at both ends

Just installed
RE 5.5" leafs with TNT 1" boomarang shackles - and i'm impressed by them
XJ Dana 44
4.88 r&p
Detroit locker
Alloy-USA CrMo shafts
Custom armored diff cover
RE anti-wrap spring perches
raised shock mounts
u-bolt style 1310 yoke

.. I have a lot backburnered too, but thats what I've been up to for the past couple months. Its been taking a while, cuz I'm paying cash for everything, and even with all my wheeling and dealing, its adding up. :)

Back