• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this a Limited Slip Diff? (pics)

ABN146

NAXJA Forum User
I think it is but, I thought I better ask since I have never seen one before. I just changed the oil and I plan to get the friction modifier tomorrow if it does have the clutch discs.

In this first pic are we looking at the clutch discs there behind the side gear? It looks like a group of them with many little teeth.

Discs.JPG

Rear1.JPG

Re: Is this a Limited Slip Diff< (pics)

Thanks! That makes me happy to hear. I was hoping that this Jeep came with one. It didn't have a tag on the cover so I didn't think it was.

Anyone got suggestions on where to get the friction modifier and what kind or brand Napa? Checker?

Re: Is this a Limited Slip Diff? (`acs)

One more question... Will it be a problem if I drive around 15 miles before putting in the FL5

No, it vin't damage it in such a few miles. Make absoultely sure the gear lube you are using is compatible, with FM though. I got some from AZ that said on the back label 'not for use in limited slip systems'. IIRC, it was Coastal Synthetic. I got my FM from Napa, but they only had one type availabld"

Well... I'll have to check on the back of the bottle of gear oil tomorrow. I used valvaline 80W-90. I just could not afford the synthetic stuff yet.

ABN146 said:

Anyone got suggestions on where to get the friction modifier and what kind or brand? Napa? Checker?

Jeep Dealer.

did you read the labels properly???? most of the ones that i've seen that say they include friction modifier and up having some fine print on the back that says it's not for LSD, and i've even seen some that specified chrysler vehicles.

i would recommend you get it from the jeep dealershipt.....it's not that expensive.

scorpio_vette said:
did you read the labels properly???? most of the ones that i've seen that say they include friction modifier and up having some fine print on the back that says it's not for LSD, and i've even seen some that specified chrysler vehicles.

i would recommend you get it from the jeep dealershipt.....it's not that expensive.
I saw that too at the Advance auto, specifically said any Jeep with Quadratrac.

Sta-Lube GL-5 and Redline FM are both available at my local, so you might want to check the "mom&pop" type stores. As I recall, Kragen's here doesn't have it, and I haven't even checked Autobone.

FM costs about $5 per bottle, and you can just go ahead and mix it with all your gear oil, since it doesn't do any harm if it's not needed (believe me, I know.)

Driving for a short distance before adding FM (2 ounces to an already full diff, BTW) won't do any harm, but if you let it go, you'll start hearing clutch chatter in the rear axle, and you'll eventually have to replace the clutches.

5-90

Back