• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

redoing lower shock mounts (D44)

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
ok.. so I got an XJ D44 sitting in my garage and I', ready to redo the shock mounts (make them sit closer to the axle). So now.... how do I remove the old ones? What's the right way to cut them off?

Kejtar

grinder!!!!!!

stoney

Like Stoney said, grinder with a metal cut wheel will work fine. I have to do the same thing on mine to. Just cut as close to the weld as possible, tyr not to hurt those 1/2" tubes :), if you plan to reuse the OEM mounts, be conservative on what you cut. Then you'll have enough material to reweld them on later.

I would wait to weld them back on until you can get the D44 under your XJ, then you can account for any shimming you have done for your SYE.

I changed the shock mounts on my 8.25 in May, put on a set of low profiles so they don't hang down so low. I cut them off with a torch, and ground what was left flush with the tube. Made welding on the new mounts pretty easy.

Kejtar said:
hmmmm....... ok.. I think I need to build a stand first for the axle to make work on it easier :)

3 jack stands: 1 on each side and 1 under the pinion.

I just did this two. I was trying to leave the mount as intact as possible. I used a grinder and cutting wheel on the welds and then BFH'ered it the rest of the way off. With the weld mostly ground off, the hammer just broke the mount off right at the seam. Like I said though, I was trying to keep it all together, if you don't care it will be much easier.

Marcus

I did mine with the axle in the car,seemed like less work to me!Plus I still got to use it for the next couple of days while I modified the brackets.

I did mine with the axle in the car,seemed like less work to me! [/QUOTE]
Well.... it's a project axle that's sitting separately in the garage :) and I want to get as much done and ready without having it in :)

Kejtar

Remi- Take the opportunity right now to cut the shock mounts and spring perches off of that D44 and weld them back on at the correct angle for your CV driveshaft.

I'm at about 5 inches lift of lift, with an XJ D44 and a CV drive shaft. I would need a 13* shim to properly set my pinion angle... the biggest I can find is a 6*. That 6* shim has caused me a lot of problems. That big of a shim acts as a wedge between the axle and the leaf springs, causing the axle u-bolts to constntly loosen and damage the axle centering pin. Avoid all of these headaches now by setting the pinion angle with the spring perches and eliminate axle shims from your life FOREVER.

Thats one of the reasons I did mine,it was really hard on the shock bushings.

Thats what I was thinking.... but the measurement will have to happen later when the I will be close to putting it on and I have it lifted more :)

Kejtar

I am glad I haven't done my mounts on my 44 yet, I also need to get the sye and d-shaft to:(

Handlebars said:
I'm at about 5 inches lift of lift, with an XJ D44 and a CV drive shaft. I would need a 13* shim to properly set my pinion angle... the biggest I can find is a 6*.

13*?!?!?! that's crazy. Were your perches rewelded on already before at a horrible angle? I've got an XJ 44 with 5.5" and a 6*'er is perfect for mine....that's weird.

I put in an xj44 also and didn't have to touch my spring perches. I've got about 5" in the rear, no blocks but extended shackles and my angle is perfect. So I would check it if I were you guys before you just cut the perches off.

marcus

Ok Remi, cut everything off but DONT weld anything back on yet. You'll need it bare to set it up correctly. Get some cut off wheels and some sanding flap wheels for a 4.5" grinder and have at it. Once you have it 'installed' (hanging from the leafs by the ubolts) then you can rotate the pinion to the correct angle, weld it, and then worry about shock mounts.

Back