• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!! __OIL PAN REMOVAL__doing it now.

pikey77

NAXJA Forum User
Cant seem to figure out how to get the two rear bolts of the oil pan. Do you need to remove the bell housing inspection plate or what?

You should be able to remove the rear two bolts and pull the pan off without any problem. No need to remove the bellhousing inspection cover. You might need to gently pry the pan off the block with a paint scraper.

alright got the rear pan bolts off but there was some sort of plastic piece that connected to the rear pan bolts...i broke a corner off of it. Never seen or heard of it before...any ideas what it is for?

01 4.0

It's a girdle to help distribute the load from those two bolts more evenly across the rear of the pan. By doing that it helps prevent stress points and leaks from the rear main seal.

I just pulled the pan off of my '87 last night and it absolutely would not come out until I removed the inspection plate from the tranny. That little tiny extra bit of room made the difference. It seems like the last XJ I replaced the seal on, I didn't have to take the inspection cover off. I really can't be sure, it's been several years ago. It sure made a difference yesterday though. I should add that it is stock with no lift.

Last edited:
pressurerat said:
I just pulled the pan off of my '87 last night and it absolutely would not come out until I removed the inspection plate from the tranny. That little tiny extra bit of room made the difference. It seems like the last XJ I replaced the seal on, I didn't have to take the inspection cover off. I really can't be sure, it's been several years ago. It sure made a difference yesterday though. I should add that it is stock with no lift.

I've got an '87 as well how hard was it to get the oil pan off? I was reading in the Haynes manual where you need to take the starter off and lower the front diff some?

ajeeperwannabe said:
I've got an '87 as well how hard was it to get the oil pan off? I was reading in the Haynes manual where you need to take the starter off and lower the front diff some?

Just follow the Haynes manual to the letter and it will come out. It is very tight, but will come out with some coaxing. I had a harder time getting the pan un-stuck from the engine block than I did getting it out of the vehicle!

Back