• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OK to use coleman fuel in my Jeep?

@dam

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys. I was wondering if it is safe to use coleman fuel in my Jeep. I have about 1/2 gallon that is a few of years old, and I'm moving soon. The movers won't take it, and I'm not sure of how to dispose of it. I know white gas is similar to gasoline, so I was wondering if it was safe to just burn it in my car? I'd also like to know in case I ever need an emergency fuel source out on a camping trip or something.

Thanks
-@dam

Isn't colman fuel naptha ? did not know you could burn it in a regular engine. White gas to me was always Amaco back in the old days because it was water clear...

I always thought Coleman fuel, AKA "white gas" was gas without additives. Should be OK to run a couple of gallons, especially if you mix it with standard gas.

Found this: Editors Note: "white spirit / white gas" Confusion. (May 1996)

Depending on which country you are in, "white spirit" can be one of several substances. In the UK it is "turpentine substitute" ie. paint thinner and is not recommended for burning.

In Australia it is a cleaning solvent but it is not the same as the stuff in the UK. Again it is not recommended for burning. In New Zealand white spirit used to be a common name for white gas but now days it may be mis-understood as meaning "turpentine substitute".

Referring to one of the brand names is probably a more reliable way of getting what you're after (see the entry for New Zealand).

The Material Safety Data Sheet for Coleman fuel gives the following composition:

· Solvent naphtha (CAS #64742-89-8) 45-50%

· Aliphatic petroleum distillates (CAS #64742-88-7) 45-50%

· Xylene (CAS #1330-20-7) 2%

· Toluene (CAS #108-88-3) 2%

Notes on White Gasoline

<[email protected]> writes....... (May 1996)

Coleman fuel and white gasoline are not the same. Coleman fuel contains components that are much less volatile than gasoline (such as naptha). This is what makes it safer to use in a stove or lantern. White gasoline is simply gasoline that contains no antiknock additives. Commercial unleaded gasoline contains additives that will likely damage your stove unless it designed to accept this type of fuel (some are).

I suppose the question really is: Can I use white gas in my stove? Answer is: probably. If it is clean and contains no additives, it will burn just fine. It is more dangerous to handle since it is more volatile, but clean, pure white gas will probably not damage your stove. At least it has never harmed my Svea 123.

Notes on Coleman Fuel

<[email protected]> writes.......(Feb 2003)

(Frank Schmidt, Senior Project Engineer, Appliances-Fuels-Patio Grills, The Coleman Co.)

Coleman Fuel was developed in the early 50's as a replacement for "white gas" which in the US was readily available at hardware stores and gas stations. This was the original motor fuel, no tetraeythlead, or additives, also know as casing head gas, water white color. Was also used as a cleaning agent for mostly white materials, also a fuel for outboard motors and early powered lawnmowers. This source started to disappear in the 50's due to technology.

The Coleman fuel of today has not changed in years, it is a blended naphtha with no lead compounds, and a paraffinic type. The benzene content is controlled to .5% by wt. or less and we add a rust inhibitor along with a green dye for identification. I will attach the specification for the fuel for your information. One point, you might find interesting is Coleman Fuel is the preferred fuel for fire eaters, have several inquiries a year as to the benzene content and is it safe.??

I also would like to inquire if your site, could be used by the Coleman Co. as a reference link in our site.

PS: The specification is titled (US Market) there is no other one.

i have actually used nitro/methal/alcohol in our race car, now thats a performance boost!

Coleman fuel, which contains naptha, eats gaskets (including permatex silicone) and all sorts of other things really well. I think its useful as a parts washing solvent. For this reason, I wouldn't add it to gas because I don't know how it reacts with the components of my fuel system.

@dam said:
Hi guys. I was wondering if it is safe to use coleman fuel in my Jeep. I have about 1/2 gallon that is a few of years old, and I'm moving soon. The movers won't take it, and I'm not sure of how to dispose of it. I know white gas is similar to gasoline, so I was wondering if it was safe to just burn it in my car? I'd also like to know in case I ever need an emergency fuel source out on a camping trip or something.

Thanks
-@dam

Your town may have a "Clean Sweep" disposal area for toxic compounds. That would work.

You could use it for lighter fluid for your BBQ.

Give it to a neighbor. Renew, Reuse, Recycle...

Or you could dump it in the Jeep on a mostly full tank. If it's only a 1/2 gallon, I wouldn't think there would be much of a problem given the dilution ratio with a 3/4 (or more) tank of gas.

I would not consider it for an "emergency" fuel source for your Jeep :(

all i know is it ran a weedeater :D beyond that i don't know how well it performs in a combustion engine. course if you wanted to dispose of it you could find a large flammable object......say an old couch......and dispose of two things at once:explosion

None of the components listed on the MSDS should be a problem if you dilute it into a fuller tank of gas. Almost all of them are in gas in some proportion anyway. The highly touted Seafoam is 30% naptha and most of the other cleaners have some xylene and toluene.

Back