• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np242 kicking out of 4 low

dealer6

NAXJA Forum User
just recently got an 88 cherokee pioneer, put 3.5" budget lift, and 31 10.5 tires, worked fine on first outing, second time climing hill would not stay in 4 low, replaced motor mounts and adjusted linkage for t-case, any ideas, will the trany mount efect this??? any help would be great

ill post pics asap of my new toy,

great site

thank you
scott (dealer6)

a tranny mount could affect it if it moves enough.

other than that if u adjusted linkage, i would say u might have a bad gear.

The gear is held in place with a detent. The detent has three components, a bullet looking bearing, a spring and a nut/bolt to hold it in the housing. If, the detent has failed, proper gear engagement will be near impossible. You can access it from the outside of the TC case. Other than that, check all your motor/tranny mounts.

thanks guys, i'm changing trans mount today, if that doesn't work will probly drop t-case and rebuild, jeep has 270,000 miles, nothing has been done to drive train,

thanks again

scott

correction it is a np 231 t-case, i ended up taking it off the jeep, tore it down, the fork pads are all gone and the range fork is all ate up, does anyone know a good place to get a new fork and pads???

thanks,
scott

ordered new parts today, they were cheaper than i thought.

has any one put that 4:1 gear kit in a 231??
is it worth it???

i'm thinking about getting it for mine

Back