• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie Question: Flywheel on 85XJ

JeepDawg

NAXJA Forum User
A quick question......should I be able to partially see my flywheel when I look down towards the tranny from the top of the engine (driver's side)?

I had this one mechanic replace the clutch......but I had to go back so many times because they kept messing up, that now I'm a bit paranoid. Anyway, it seems a bit weird that I can see the flywheel......and I'm a little worried that they left something else off (like they did so many times before)! I would think that something should go in front of the bell housing to keep the flywheel from being exposed... (But as the title states, I'm a newbie..)

Thanks in advance!!!!!

P.S. I'm now trying to fix things myself.....especially with all the great info. from you good people. Using that mechanic was a real wake up call!!!!

Looking down? No. You should only be able to see the flywheel looking up with the inspection plate removed, or looking in alongside the clutch fork (if you have an external slave.)

The top 2/3 or so of the bellhousing should be butted FIRMLY up against the back of the engine - if it isn't, you'll need to tighten bolts somewhere. Do it quick - I destroyed an AW4 before I noticed that bellhousing bolts were missing/loose...

5-90

Thanks!!!! I just talked to the guy....and they claimed it wasn't on there before.....which I'm pretty sure was a lie. It's amazing, he tried to say that it may be good to have the flywheel exposed so as to keep it cool. I could just imagine getting anything up in there.....especially something like rock....could potentially destroy the flywheel....and a whole lot more.

Back