• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cat and Muffler ????

Joe

NAXJA Member #887
Ok guys what brand of high-flow cat are you guys running?

Also what high-flow muffler that is some what quiet can I use?

I have a 94 XJ with I-6 and an automatice tranny. This a daily driver.

Give me some ideas.

I bought my cats from NAPA, although not cheap ($180) they are well built. I also welded in cherry bomb type mufflers. Strange thing is, mine is much quieter than my son's, and we both have the same system. :dunno:Could be different brand mufflers....?
I think the Thrush brand is a bit too loud. But you can't beat the price (<$25) and the material can take a beating.
Rick R:sunshine:

Im sure your asking this because your concerned about the noise level laws specifically in the LA and Ventura County area? It must be that because if it isnt Remi might move this thread.

By the way, I dont have any other info to help.

Aaron

I think this would fall into the 'Technical to Ca' category, since any cat you put on your vehicle has to CARB approved for your vehicle.

Oh, and your best bet is to just use one from a reputable parts dealer like Jump This used.

I am pretty confident the is a 'Regional Tech' thread.

Joe,

I use what ever is the cheapest since I am on my 2nd CAT and 6 muffler in the last 18 months.

-Avery

I always use the cheapest cats I can find. I've noticed no difference between a marketed as high flow cat and a cheap one.

I've run a few different mufflers. THe flowmaster 40 was nice and also strong on the rocks. Some people don't like it's drowning.

The Cherry Bomb Turbo (Not a glasspack, conventional muffler) for $30 sounds decent (not good, not bad) but is of rather fragile design.

If there is any threat of rocks I"d go Cherry Bomb Glass Pack of Flowmaster 40 - the most durable mufflers out there.

*Disclaimer*
This information is only valid South of Bakersfield, CA; East of the Pacific Ocean; West of the California Border; and North of the California / Mexico border.

GSequoia said:
If there is any threat of rocks I"d go Cherry Bomb Glass Pack of Flowmaster 40 - the most durable mufflers out there.

I don't think it matters what series Flowmaster you get, they are all made the same way. The 40 series is a single chamber muffler, and is pretty loud.

-Dan

99xjache said:
Im sure your asking this because your concerned about the noise level laws specifically in the LA and Ventura County area? It must be that because if it isnt Remi might move this thread.

By the way, I dont have any other info to help.

Aaron

What noise level? Shhhh the rocket racers make way more noise then my jeep will ever make. But to keep it local yeah I am concern about the noise level inside the cab.

If you go to http://www.car-sound.com/catalog/af_listapp.aspx?VehicleID=39120
it shows the 91005 as the universal (magnaflow high flow) for your truck (and mine). I used the 91006 which is the same size but 2.5" inlet/outlet. I picked it up on ebay for $40 shipped. Look for the auctions with "Make an Offer", thats what I did and the guy took it. Let me know what you do for the muffler as I have been wondering the same thing.

Be careful about getting too big of a cat. the guy I talked to at magnaflow said if you go with a large cat it might not "light off" and never get to operating temperature. He assured me the one I chose would work fine and have room to allow for "upgrades" coming in the future.

SBrad001 said:
I think this would fall into the 'Technical to Ca' category, since any cat you put on your vehicle has to CARB approved for your vehicle.

Oh, and your best bet is to just use one from a reputable parts dealer like Jump This used.

I agree!

silverslk said:
If you go to http://www.car-sound.com/catalog/af_listapp.aspx?VehicleID=39120
it shows the 91005 as the universal (magnaflow high flow) for your truck (and mine). I used the 91006 which is the same size but 2.5" inlet/outlet. I picked it up on ebay for $40 shipped. Look for the auctions with "Make an Offer", thats what I did and the guy took it.

Thanks for the tip!!!!!!!!!
I just made him an offer of $40 for a 91006 and he accepted it.
It even includes shipping.

Joe said:
Ok guys what brand of high-flow cat are you guys running?

Also what high-flow muffler that is some what quiet can I use?

I have a 94 XJ with I-6 and an automatice tranny. This a daily driver.

Give me some ideas.

A little late I know but I replaced my cat with the basic Napa unit when it went out, I'm not sure if theres a huge difference between high flow and standard converters in modern cats. Maybe someone can elaborate... I am also using the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler which I like. Its slightly louder, deeper and more agressive than stock but quiet when you take your foot out of it or on the freeway in high gear. You hear it under acceleration but my Jeep goes silent when you let competely off the throttle, I like that because sometimes you want to pass by something un-noticed.

I'm running stock cat with Magnaflow 40 muffler. I might need a new cat soon.

Back